• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

killer bee and 2x8.????

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
hello to all
i was told that i can use 1 pill to hit my 2x8 which has 2-2879x8-2879
i have a texas star killer bee DX250 HDV . with 2-2290 pills
on 14.50 volts low side does 75 to 80 rms. on high side i see about 125rms
i use the low side to hit my 2x8 but i didn't see any WOW gain .
cold i can get about 620 rms from 2x8 on SSB keeps the 1000 watt slug in the corner
hitting it with killer bee i saw between 680 to 700 rms. so to me i don't see any benefit doing this way
or am i doing something wrong. or is that as best as it gets.:confused::confused:

hello to all
cold i can get about 620 rms from 2x8 on SSB keeps the 1000 watt slug in the corner
hitting it with killer bee i saw between 680 to 700 rms. so to me i don't see any benefit doing this way
or am i doing something wrong. or is that as best as it gets.:confused::confused:

I am new and cant completly answer your question, But I just got the same unit, and the guy who sold it to me connected it to his base galaxy and on amp it was doing upwards to 300w I am guessing it depends on the voltage and what your throwing into it.. HDV is high drive which makes these Killer as the name states :) sorry I dont have the complete info, as I'd be interested to know too. He sold it because he got a fat boy, but the radio checks confirmed the killer bee sounded better and they heard him the 1st time, whearas the fat boy took a few tries.. Had a sweet 16 and THEY need lots of power in to get good out results :) Good luck

Seriously man, those 2 2290 transisters only need to be hit with about 20 watts to see their full output, anything more than that will only create heat and bad harmonics.........

Oops, just reread the post, the big box is 2 2879's in the driver section, My opinion is still the same tho........if you hit it with more than 20 watts or so you are going to saturate the pills in the drive section, and you are right........you won't see a big change on the final output

Just drive everything conservative and let it eat, no sense blowing stuff up for an extra 50 watts (y)

hello to all

You were told wrong. Your amplifier already has a driver stage, all you need is a radio that has a PEP output of 12-25 watts. Running any amplifier in front of the 2x8 will blow the crap out of it.

You were told wrong. Your amplifier already has a driver stage, all you need is a radio that has a PEP output of 12-25 watts. Running any amplifier in front of the 2x8 will blow the crap out of it.

i agree thats completely.now if your amp was a 4x2879 or 6x2879 THEN
a driver is needed unless you got a high power radio. a straight 4 2879 or
6x2879 are TRUE high drives ANY 1 or 2 pill amp isnt a highdrive no matter
what it says on it.i blew up a couple of those 250s in my time

four 2879's dont need a driver pill/amp to reach their full clean power output on a typical cb radio unless the input has been padded by the builder so they can sell you two amps instead of one .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.