• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kl503 input and output watts

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
I have my KL503 with the driver amp bypassed so I am trying to drive it with out blurring it up. I was driving it with 4 watts swinging to 18 and getting 50 swinging 220 watts is this over driving 8 IRF520'S

When useing it on FM what what would the output power to shoot for...

No, I don't think you're overdriving it with that kind of wattage. I think if you keep it under 25W PEP input, you'll be fine as long as the driver is bypassed. Running it with your current numbers should give you good output and long life.

I wouldn't know what to run it with for FM, however. It's not really a mode that's commonly used on the 11M band here in the States.

~Cheers~

No, I don't think you're overdriving it with that kind of wattage. I think if you keep it under 25W PEP input, you'll be fine as long as the driver is bypassed. Running it with your current numbers should give you good output and long life.

I wouldn't know what to run it with for FM, however. It's not really a mode that's commonly used on the 11M band here in the States.

~Cheers~

ok cool ill leave it at that

I also have a KL503 for a base and two KL203's in my trucks that I have been using a lot over the past three years and this is my experience with the RM Italy's. I have burned up one KL 503 and a KL 203 and all because I ran 4 watts into them a few years ago. On my base I have turned my 148GTL down to 2 watts and swing to 12 watts and run two large fans on top of the 503. On number 1 setting I do about 30 watts and swing to about 200 watts for the base and with the mobile's we keep a check on how hot the 203's are getting. With this combo on the RM's we have no probs and able to talk freely. These amps maybe are known as junk but I have the same audio quality to a T with them on or off on am or ssb and definitely pump up the s units. I would say there are only two things you have to do with these is don't run 4 watts into them and keep them cool and you will have a amp for the price of a piece of junk lol.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: 1 person
I also have a KL503 for a base and two KL203's in my trucks that I have been using a lot over the past three years and this is my experience with the RM Italy's. I have burned up one KL 503 and a KL 203 and all because I ran 4 watts into them a few years ago. On my base I have turned my 148GTL down to 2 watts and swing to 12 watts and run two large fans on top of the 503. On number 1 setting I do about 30 watts and swing to about 200 watts for the base and with the mobile's we keep a check on how hot the 203's are getting. With this combo on the RM's we have no probs and able to talk freely. These amps maybe are known as junk but I have the same audio quality to a T with them on or off on am or ssb and definitely pump up the s units. I would say there are only two things you have to do with these is don't run 4 watts into them and keep them cool and you will have a amp for the price of a piece of junk lol.

Yes this is true but my KL503 has no "pre-driver" now so I have to drive is more...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio