• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Let’s Play A Game…

UFO411

Sep 19, 2021
Aiken, SC
It’s called, “Keep or Sell?”

Full Disclosure, I’m still working on my Tech License so I can do nothing at the moment but listen so I need your valued input.

I currently own an Xiegu G90 (three weeks old), an IC-718, and an IC-746 (NOT Pro). I want to keep one of these as my operational base rig once I complete the test later this month. In your opinion, which should I keep and why? Also, how does your chosen selection stack up against the IC-7300?

Additional information: I also picked up the following items to pair with whichever unit I keep. As such, which tuner would pair nicely with your selected unit and then, how would that compare to the IC-7300?

Ameritron AL-811 Amp
Astron RS-50M Power Supply
MFJ-962D Tuner
MFJ-929 Tuner
MFJ-921 Tuner

Finally, I also scored a WW2 era long wire receiver in WORKING condition with matching external speaker. Any idea how this might play into the overall setup? Are these collectors items?

Thanks!!

EDIT: A word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover

Sell the G90, you will find it's not that good of a radio. Sell the amp, you really won't need it and use the money for a better antenna. Always put the money into the antennas first. The 7300 is a good radio but its nothing more than a computer in a box so personally I would keep the 746 and chuck everything else. The next thing you want to do is study for your general ticket, tech is a great place to start but if you are interested in DX a tech license is not going to cut it.

One word of note about the shack in the box rigs, if one part of the radio fails and you need to send it out for repair you lose all the bands. I am not a fan of these types of radios, they are a compromise in some form. Case in point I have an ICOM 706 mkIIg that sits on the shelf, VHF is dead on it. If it were my main radio and if were to send it out for repair I would be out HF, VHF, and UHF.

I am sure others will tell you differently here but after 30+ years as a ham, this is how I feel. Good luck and you will enjoy amateur radio.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.