• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking at getting a baofeng. looking for opinions

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
hi all.

looking at getting one of those cheap baofeng handhelds that you can get on ebay for around 40 bucks.

Just wanted to know if i should be looking at something just a bit more expensive for whatever reason, and would also like to know what these things can and can't do.

thanks in advance for any input, info, or advice.
LC

I like them for cheap fun "tactical" close range fun. Get a couple. A Yaesu would probably do better for real actual amateur use. With a low cost ChiCom for Ham stuff, get a better antenna for sure. We have a few guys on the nets use them successfully.

They're fine for getting on the air and for using something that you won't cry about if you lose or break it. The receiver on these things are known for issues with adjacent channel rejection, intermod, etc. which a higher gain antenna will exacerbate. They're fine for a basic, fun radio but you'll probably want a better radio at some point.

copy that.

i do have a yaesu handheld for actual ham use. i guess i'll get the baofeng just to see how much worse it is than the yaesu.

thanks for the replies.
LC

See my earlier review in the Ham Equipment Review forum. There is another similar but better choice out now. Operates on the Baofeng "software-operations" platform but has a noticeably better receiver and 1-5-10 watt power settings and comes with 2 batteries and all the other goodies in the box. I liked the first one so much I got a 2nd. My 2 Baofeng UV5R's are sitting in a drawer now.
TIDRadio H6. $41 dollars on Amazon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.