• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for 440 Mhz mobile radios to build a club repeater

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I've been working on plans for a coordinated 440Mhz D-STAR club repeater. I've made arrangements with the owner of a local D-STAR system to add a repeater to their existing system, which is nice because we will be able to use their existing gateway. The idea behind using D-STAR is that it will allow any club member to contact any other club member over the D-STAR network. No D-STAR in your area? No problem: I'll be posting plans on how to get on D-STAR in another thread.

In the meantime, I need to find two inexpensive 440Mhz radios for the repeater. These can even be LMR type radios like Motorola Maxtrac. If you have something you don't need, or have access to something that is inexpensive, please let me know.

hmmmmm.... Did well enough on fleabay last night that I don't have to sell my IC-3220H to get my IC-2820H.

One down, one to go. Anyone?

Edit - I should add, this is providing you and I aren't the only ones on D-Star. lol

Last edited:
Well that reads kind of vague, doesn't it? YES, I have a IC-3220H for the cause.

Thanks for the offer! Hang on to it for now...I scored a working 440 repeater last night that I think will do the trick. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress on getting this working on DSTAR.

Reactions: 1 person
I have no idea about DSTAR. never used it and don't think anyone in my local club does either. I will have to research a little about this.

kj4unx

Thanks for the offer! Hang on to it for now...I scored a working 440 repeater last night that I think will do the trick. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress on getting this working on DSTAR.

...bump...:whistle:

Hey Mole:
Are you using the controller from that analog repeater you bought - or are you using the controller that is used for D-Star apps?

So do you suspect the duplexer for failing to keep TX out of the RX radio and caused to it to pop?

Hey Mole:
Are you using the controller from that analog repeater you bought - or are you using the controller that is used for D-Star apps?

So do you suspect the duplexer for failing to keep TX out of the RX radio and caused to it to pop?

No, the PC software acts as the controller. The Motorola RICK controller is not used for this application and I have no idea why the RX radio failed. Between dealing with SCRRBA (the local 440 coordination body) and GM300's that have been a pain in the ass, I'm pretty frustrated with the whole project at this point.

I would still like to do this and it seems that the folks using typical ham rigs are having better success than I have had with these GM300's.

No, the PC software acts as the controller. The Motorola RICK controller is not used for this application and I have no idea why the RX radio failed. Between dealing with SCRRBA (the local 440 coordination body) and GM300's that have been a pain in the ass, I'm pretty frustrated with the whole project at this point.

I would still like to do this and it seems that the folks using typical ham rigs are having better success than I have had with these GM300's.
I can understand that kind of frustration.

I'd be pretty concerned as to why that radio failed. Especially before you get your credit card out and buy some uber-expensive D-Star radios. I know I wouldn't want to cook one of those radios - that's for sure.

Do you know how to test a duplexer? Any other thoughts as to why that radio failed? IS there a local tech that you know and trust that can definitively find out why that GM300 failed? Cannot understand why it failed just doing RX unless it saw too much RF on its input. Could bode poorly if a D-Star radio is used in its place. Just saying . . .

EDIT:
Wasn't this radio fixed once before?
Or was that a different repeater radio you were once building?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.