• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For A 240 Amp Alternator

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I drive a 02 dodge caravan I am looking for a 240 amp alternator where can I get one for a decent price & one I can use in my mini van with a little modification.

just for heads up
if your still using that antenna system from last posts it would not mattter if you had 4 = 250 amp alternators
1 10k antenna on the rear about 12 inches from rear 17 to 22 inch shaft
18 foot of coax

then you can add bigger alt until then you just be burning stuff up.

I am think about getting a 160amp oem fit alternator what is the most amps I could run from this alternator could I run 100 with amps with out any problems would 110 be pushing it a little.

I doubt seriously if that engine could even turn an alternator that big,maybe you should look for a hemi.If you drive a dodge your gonna walk more than radio anyway,thats the way i look at it(y)

I am think about getting a 160amp oem fit alternator what is the most amps I could run from this alternator could I run 100 with amps with out any problems would 110 be pushing it a little.

There's a reason the largest stock alternator for that car is a 160 amp and dwb hit the nail on the head, now go get a hemi.(y)

don't listen to the haters,
www.4alterstart.com

tell then what you want,they got bad ass alts.

just wind that thing up before you key

ive seen chevettes with 250s run 2-500z's... can be done

I hate being labled a hater which is the classic sign of a hater, I never said it was not possible, just not practical for an everyday grocery getter.

If dj just wants to run up to 1400 watts then a 160 amp stock alternator will fit the bill and not break the budget which would leave money for the essentials such as mics and super noisy type gadgets.(y) can you say 11111?

I hate being labled a hater which is the classic sign of a hater, I never said it was not possible, just not practical for an everyday grocery getter.

If dj just wants to run up to 1400 watts then a 160 amp stock alternator will fit the bill and not break the budget which would leave money for the essentials such as mics and super noisy type gadgets.(y) can you say 11111?

he didn't ask you to redefine what he was looking for or give him your opinion. he wanted to know about getting a big alt, if anything, i am the first and only person who actually pointed him in the direction he asked to go.

I think this post warrants other opinions and my opinion is that there would be multiple problems arise by adding a non-stock alternator to this particular vehicle seeing that it already has a very limited space under the hood to work with and that a stock version of what's offered for his vehicle would be more suited to what would be best for that vehicle so that's my opinion and he still could get ample amount of power from a 4 or 6 transistor amplifier.

DJ I think you would have 120 to 130 amps to spare with a stock 160 amp alternator.

I bought a 250 amp alterstart alternator for my GMC that lasted for a week. I then took it to a local alternator shop and had it rebuilt. What alterstart doesn't tell is that you have to run that alternator at about 7000 RPM to get the full amount of amps.

I then had it rebuilt at a local shop, and it does 220-230 consistently holding at 14 volts(saw it for my own eyes on the bench at normal driving rpm). I was told that 250 amps out of a small case alternator is really pushing.

Here's the link if want it.

Lancaster Starter and Alternator Service

If you call ask for Bart, and tell him what you want and what you'll be using it for.

The only thing you have to becareful of in doing this like mentioned your fans wiring. I looked into this years ago and was also told of this wiring thing. Im sure the link will help that greg posted they can answer these questions. I can imagine that you will have to be winding that V6 up quite a bit though. I say check it out and see what they have to say a 160 Amps will give you more than enough.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned