• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for mobil antenna ideas

KD8NKK

Feb 20, 2010
hamilton ohio
this will be my first 2 meter antenna install and i want to get the most out of my first buy. i think i am going to go with a 5/8ths wave antenna like maby the dimond DP-NR22L.

any sujestions or input would help. thanks.

well i was going to try and stay away from mag mounts. thinking about hard mount (drilling a hole in rooftop), or bracket mounting. it will be going in a 1988 chevy fullsize van

Best Antenna for 2 meters

Hustler Model CGT-144
  • Gain: 5.2 dB - absolutely the highest gain mobile antenna available.
  • Phased 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave design.
  • Optimum low angle radiation pattern.
  • Heavy duty trunk lip mount features 180 degree swivel ball for vertical positioning.
  • Supplied with 17' of top quality low loss coaxial cable (connector installed).
  • No drilling required, mount suitable for any surface no matter what the angle.
[SIZE=+1]Antenna Only[/SIZE]

Model CG-144
  • Identical electrical characteristics as the CGT-144.
  • Supplied in resonant length.
  • With 3/8" x 24 thread base for ball mounts (mount and cable not included).
  • Length: 7'1".
  • Weight: 1.84 lb.
  • The Ultimate in 144 MHz. Collinear Mobile Performance
You can get them right where you live...Tell Roger and Troy at R&L I said hello!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I've found that the dirt common 5/8 wave 2 meter antennas do about as well as any. I think Larson, Antenex, and several others make them, and the price is typically less than others.
Not sure what an 'M' connector is, so won't comment on them. Also find that the NMO mounts really do well, are easy to install, and are securer than others.
Don't get too caught up in the gain figures, the surroundings play a big part in that with VHF/UHF. The larger/longer 2 meter antennas take you to about the same places that a 102" whip does (2m = 7feet +/-), so that's a consideration too.
Take your pick, there's a bunch of different styles.
- 'Doc

yea i was wanting to use the nmo mount. i have a 102 whip for 11 meters. thanks for the info. i would like to get as close or better range as the old 102's range.

bought a mobil antenna

well i decided to just buy a mag mount. i bought the hustler mx-2 antenna. i have read several reviews on it and they all were great. now i just need my radio to come in. still wating.......:censored:

yea they are just 10 min's away. i go there all the time. love that place. that is were i bought the antenna from and the radio that i am still waiting for. hopefully it will be in tommoro.

i did not want to go with the mag mount but my van has custom interrer and the roof is plywood insolation a nice aprostry and i did not want to tear it up. so i decided to just goahead and go with the mag mount.:bdh:
it seems to stay in place and looks good. cant wait to use it. 73's to all

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.