• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for the right 4 pill maybe 6 pill

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
i recently purchased a galaxy 95T. I will be running my tried and tested wilson 1k Mag mount. I would like to see 500 watts because i know that thats basically the 3rd stage of seeing major improvement over the radios stock 100-200watt output. i will be running the stock alternator in my vehicle. its small and i dont want to kill it.
-will that be an issue its a 130amp alternator.
- i run ssb A LOT so ill need something that sounds good and not like crinkled paper on ssb.
Just looking for some input on what some of the people on here think i should run for an amp?

A 130 amp alternator is good up to 7 to 800 watts but the size of the field windings and armature will dictate the longevity of the alternator and bearing size will also play a large roll.

alternatorlarge.gif

i recently purchased a galaxy 95T. I will be running my tried and tested wilson 1k Mag mount. I would like to see 500 watts because i know that thats basically the 3rd stage of seeing major improvement over the radios stock 100-200watt output. i will be running the stock alternator in my vehicle. its small and i dont want to kill it.
-will that be an issue its a 130amp alternator.
- i run ssb A LOT so ill need something that sounds good and not like crinkled paper on ssb.
Just looking for some input on what some of the people on here think i should run for an amp?

Since you have been a CBer for more than 5 years, you should know the answer to that question.
If your radio is doing 100-200 hundred watts, then a Texas Star, Palomar, KLV, or any stock 4 pill amp won't handle it. You have only 1 option and that is the Xforce TNT line of amps, call them.
200 watts to 500 watts will only improve you 1/2 an S-unit.....the biggest difference is from 4 watts to 100 watts.....somewhere around 3 S-units.
If you have a Ford 130 big cased alternator then they can be built up to 200 amps....some can even do 250 amps, but they won't cool good enough and generally die early.

Last edited:
Since you have been a CBer for more than 5 years, you should know the answer to that question.
If your radio is doing 100-200 hundred watts, then a Texas Star, Palomar, KLV, or any stock 4 pill amp won't handle it. You have only 1 option and that is the Xforce TNT line of amps, call them.
200 watts to 500 watts will only improve you 1/2 an S-unit.....the biggest difference is from 4 watts to 100 watts.....somewhere around 3 S-units.
If you have a Ford 130 big cased alternator then they can be built up to 200 amps....some can even do 250 amps, but they won't cool good enough and generally die early.

So with that being said should I wait to buy a motor maul and an 8pill?

All depends on what you want to spend. You have a "big" radio so if you must only have 500 watts then sell it and run an old school Galaxy 99 into a TS500.

A local guy ran a 2970 and a Magnum Omega HP into a TnT 600 amplifier. I think he was getting an easy 700 watts with either radio. You could get the TnT 600 and then dial the radio power back a tad on the 95T and you would be rocking.

really the 95t is not that big
when a Cobra 25 and ts250 can cut it off
so with that if you insist on the 95t then you be looking at a stright 8 pill
and since you do ssb the 1600 is out the question so
not real sure about the tnt lne of amps
its still what they call class B bias
you can run 2 cables from alternator go to the rear somewhere and set 2 batteries and then hook the amp up to it right there
this will help alitttle bit but a future upgrade on alt is for sure

All depends on what you want to spend. You have a "big" radio so if you must only have 500 watts then sell it and run an old school Galaxy 99 into a TS500.

A local guy ran a 2970 and a Magnum Omega HP into a TnT 600 amplifier. I think he was getting an easy 700 watts with either radio. You could get the TnT 600 and then dial the radio power back a tad on the 95T and you would be rocking.

SSB and a class B 4 pill will sound great at 300-500 watts pep.....you go any more and the audio quality is bad. He would have to back the 95T down so doggone far.....why not just sell it and get a dual final export. SSB is finicky to get that great sound sometimes when you run an amp.

really the 95t is not that big
when a Cobra 25 and ts250 can cut it off
so with that if you insist on the 95t then you be looking at a stright 8 pill
and since you do ssb the 1600 is out the question so
not real sure about the tnt lne of amps
its still what they call class B bias
you can run 2 cables from alternator go to the rear somewhere and set 2 batteries and then hook the amp up to it right there
this will help alitttle bit but a future upgrade on alt is for sure

The reason I said it's a big radio is.....it is. I would much rather have say a 50 watt Magnum S9 and run an external amplifier. I can run many different amps that way 2 pill, 1x4, 4 pill, it's easy to adapt.

With a 95T you only have one option, a big amplifier. Either the TnT 600 or 1200 would work. The 1200 would be best but by backing the variable down alittle the 600 will do just fine.

http://www.xforceamps.com/category/TNT-35

One of the biggest mistakes I've made was selling my Magnaforce 1000 and 200 driver. The guy who bought it lives 5 miles away and I hear him blowing smoke all the time. :sad:

One of the biggest mistakes I've made was selling my Magnaforce 1000 and 200 driver. The guy who bought it lives 5 miles away and I hear him blowing smoke all the time. :sad:

Both are really good amps, I had the mag 900 and later wished for the mag 1k

Really a 4 pill is about all is need in a mobile cost effective wise.

Even a 150 would be sufficient. An 8 pill is starting to get costly to run and for what gain on the receive end! Just bragging rights really.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.