• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking good

Are you going to use 2w 100 ohm resistors going across the input and output combiners???
Looks like there is 1w's in there now....
Another thing...the output combiner does not look factory...
looks like 16 awg teflon wire?? which is good...
Are you going to re-wrap the input combiner to 16 awg teflon as well??
Ok just ONE more question?? :) LOL:)
Try moving the coax and from the output combiner to the back of the amp ...i mean try a different route and see if the tuning changes is all???
Just thought id ask a few questions?? :)
BUT all in all LOOKS GREAT!!!!! NICE JOB!!!!

AM POWER

looking real good there greg, the 2w 10 ohms do indeed help stop them getting as hot and allowing too much drive to the pill bases eventually blowing the pill, i know many people doubt me on this issue but it works for us here, the amps i uprate with 6w feedbacks and 3w 10ohms take a lot more sustained hammer on fm than a stock amp, using the 1/2watt 10ohms as an indicator for which pill blew is a novel idea and may work for your application but as hard we drive them on fm 90% of the time its the 10ohms and feedbacks that get very hot causing gain in the effected pill to go up and more rf to that pills base, next your combiner resistors start to burn due to the imballance, if you dont catch it there you end up with blown pills.

This is awesome.
I should buy a class c 2 pill and(for reference) and one of those kits.
It would be cool as hell to build a box and fire it up.

Nice job dude!

AMPOWER said:
Are you going to use 2w 100 ohm resistors going across the input and output combiners???
Looks like there is 1w's in there now....
Another thing...the output combiner does not look factory...
looks like 16 awg teflon wire?? which is good...
Are you going to re-wrap the input combiner to 16 awg teflon as well??
Ok just ONE more question?? :) LOL:)
Try moving the coax and from the output combiner to the back of the amp ...i mean try a different route and see if the tuning changes is all???
Just thought id ask a few questions?? :)
BUT all in all LOOKS GREAT!!!!! NICE JOB!!!!

AM POWER

If there is no imbalance then 1/2 watts will work. I am not saying to use them. The amp I run on my base has has 1/2 watt 75 ohm ballancing resistors and they still look new after 6 years.

bob85 said:
looking real good there greg, the 2w 10 ohms do indeed help stop them getting as hot and allowing too much drive to the pill bases eventually blowing the pill, i know many people doubt me on this issue but it works for us here, the amps i uprate with 6w feedbacks and 3w 10ohms take a lot more sustained hammer on fm than a stock amp, using the 1/2watt 10ohms as an indicator for which pill blew is a novel idea and may work for your application but as hard we drive them on fm 90% of the time its the 10ohms and feedbacks that get very hot causing gain in the effected pill to go up and more rf to that pills base, next your combiner resistors start to burn due to the imballance, if you dont catch it there you end up with blown pills.

Good point for FM use. I still think 3 watts is a bit over kill but over kill is fine as long as you are not using wirewound resistors.

the 10ohm's i use are none inductive metal oxide, they heve a
tighter temp coefficient than carbon and work fine for what we do with our well abused amplifiers, i have no idea if the bigger resistors will work for you custom guys but it definately works on our mudduck amps, i see time and time again the 68 ohm feedbacks and the 10 ohms going black while the amp still works ok, the wattage ratings i use are what seems to be the minimum to stop this happening under most operating conditions,,,, i will measure the rf voltage on the transistor bases of the am400 when driven hard on fm and see just how much current the 10ohms are shunting on a custom style box when it arrives :D

hum

hey ampower please pm me a parts list were and what to get for your 1 pill and pill please i am gonna do one or all three of these project amps and see how i do maybe one can school us newcomers on basing and all that .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.