• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LW-101

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
Has any one used this ant. guy close to where I live is selling them claiming its the best base ant. you can use.I know there was a post on here about these at one time. Dont think it will handle the wind very well but I may be wrong. I dont plan on buying one, just curious.

It is a very poor copy of the Astro Plane. It is ceretainly not the best antenna you can buy! It may be the best antenna he sells however.

Run away! Run far, far, away!!!

the distributors have co-opted the LW-101 monicker for renaming their AstroPlane knockoff....pretty cheesy if you ask me. the LW-101 was the first knockoff of the Sigma4 many years ago. it would seem that nothing is sacred anymore. and of course anyone ever hearing anything about the "Original" LW-101/Sigma4 knockoff might get confused and end up with an astro plane instead. that should make them a few bucks.

the first time the name LW-101 was used in this industry was in connection with a knockoff of the Avanti Sigma 4. it would seem that the use of this model number in connection with the AstroPlane knockoffs presently flooding the market is unscrupulous and intentionally misleading at best.

update and correction:

it's seems that the confusion will work for them after all. after accessing the Members Portal for a pdf file on the Sigma 4 knockoffs i realized that some of the model #'s for this antenna were the LW-150, Saliut 27, etcetera........

so they are implying that the current AstroPlane knockoff is a member of the "LW" family so-to-speak. i believe that the construction and material quality of the LW-150 was a sight better that what we're seeing in these AP knockoffs........

LW-101 = AstroPlane
LW-150 = Sigma4

in any case, the statement "the best you can use" is a little overblown IMHO.

Thanks all for the replies.A friend of mine almost bought one of these but I was able to get ahold of him and he didnt buy it. He is a retired truck driver 68 yrs old and his wife passed away about 2 months ago. So I gave him my Imaxx2000 and a base radio and set it all up for him to use so he can talk to his old friends that still drive. The man looked like a kid at xmas. Thanks yall.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.