• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mack Antenna?

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
I am driving a 2005 Mack Granite series truck. It came with 2 antennas pre-wired. Does anyone know what kind of antennas they use? They have the mack logo on them. I want to use a 450 watt amp but dont want to harm anything when I hook it up. They look like the straight wilsons with no coil keg just a straight fiberglass stick. I dont want to replace them if I dont have to. The guys at the dealer have no clue..

Sounds like Francis antennas....
What is your SWR with just the radio hooked up???
Are you running RG-8 Mini coax??? if not get the mini8 and check your swrs again...1.2 or 1.1 is what you are looking for your swrs to be with just the radio....before you install the amp...

You cant run a 450w pep amp on the stock RG58U...If thats what it is....

AM POWER

These are Workman. Workman has had these antennas made for Mack for a few years now. They are rated at 500 watts. Mack buys about 2000 of them a year last I knew.

Well if they are rated at 500w pep?? Id get other antennas that can handel 1000w pep or more...
-You dont want to heat up the antennas....Not good..

Besides? the antenna is the most important item in your set up ...

AM POWER

Mack antennas

Fd,

Replace those "Stock things"..Our new "Granites" came in same way :LOL:
Both drivers switched those out a.s.a.p. ;) One went with dual 2000's (big mouth w/S-9 :D ) and the other went with "Fire stix" top adjustables (they work great on "Dump Buckets" 8) ;) )..The 2 newest "Granites" hit the yard this week and were not even wired :shock: :shock: (our shop crew loves wiring thru all those factory holes :p :LOL: )..
With the "Powa' you run, AM hit it square,spend it right the 1st time and just go dxing..

Snoope back quiet

mack antennas

fdtrucker,

There sure is,before leaving my old fleet all of the new "Pete's" were like that..2001 and newer ;) ..

Only problem with this is the factory sometimes wires in the wrong cables :oops: ;) ..Our new 980 Cat loader came thru wierd for 2 cb's instead of for Nextel and CB...Nextel on coax is not a pretty noise :p :oops: :oops:..

The "Petes" had new "Factory" top loaded antennas,they performed well for the am/fm radio but were not for any "Powa" on CB ;) :eek: :eek: ..

If you don't mind tell me how you make out with your "Granite" install,I've just been told I'm up for one of these new ones and all ideas are welcome :LOL: :LOL: ;) .

Snoope back quiet

p.s. ones "allison and ones 8 LL"..decisions, decisions ..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.