• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 103C Beam for HF?

Aluminum is immune to salt all by itself. Zinc and aluminum is bad. Mixing metals causes electrolytic corrosion. Corrosion bad.:eek:
Same point I was trying to make about foam. It WILL cause corrosion because moisture will build up between foam and metal and never dry out, causing corrosion. The engineers who designed the antennas would have put in foam if it was a good idea. ( reference the rope idea)
PR:pop:

Aluminum is immune to salt all by itself. Zinc and aluminum is bad. Mixing metals causes electrolytic corrosion. Corrosion bad.:eek:
Same point I was trying to make about foam. It WILL cause corrosion because moisture will build up between foam and metal and never dry out, causing corrosion. The engineers who designed the antennas would have put in foam if it was a good idea. ( reference the rope idea)
PR:pop:

I guess they would have put rope in it as well.
I'll let you know when it falls apart.

I'm about to get my first HF Radio (TenTec Triton IV, mod 544). It's supposed to be ok with just about any antenna accompanied by an antenna tuner. Anyone ever heard of a Maco 103C (3 element beam) being used for HF? The darn thing is already up on the house, rotator and all and it's only less than a year old. My thought is it should be ok for most bands 10-80m. All helpful feedback appreciated.
BTW, I am also hanging a G5RV as well, and I do own a good antenna tuner.

I doubt you'll get much performance from it except on 10m.

You might end up arcing across the gamma insulator if you try to load it on lower bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.