• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V5/8

Bootlegger

Feb 18, 2006
After reading some of the problems with the Imax 2000(fiberglass tip splintering) I am looking at a Maco V5/8. Are these easy to tune and would it make any difference whether it's on a tripod or mast other than running a wire to a ground pole. The height would be about the same. Thanks for the help.

Hi..

Do yourself a favor..
You are right to realise the Imax-2000 is not the best antenna
You are right to realise the 5/8 wave is still needed..

However..
I disagree with your choice of the Maco V5/8

although it likly is better then the Imax-2000
you can do far better

I recomend The Interceptor I-10K
I doubt there is a better base station vertical antenna for CB

give it a look at www.a1antennas.com

i have only been able to talk all over the world with mine

Later

I wish I could get the 10-K also. However due to health issues I can't swing the price of the 10-K. I have been of about 12 weeks now and will return to work soon. But I will have to be back off work sometime down the line for treatment again. This is about all I can do money wise. About the Maco and the tripod on the roof if it won't create RF problems or counterpoise if I am using the right terms. Thanks again for replying.

well...

i do hear you..
i was out 12 weeks 2 years ago..
besides the very bad bronkitis (that i am fighting a 3rd time this season)..i was bored as bored can be having been out that long..

i had forced myself 3 times a month to get out to visit work (although they all said i looked nearly dead)

all that being said..
i think the maco v5/8 is better then the Imax-2000

can you swing maybe wolf's .625 wave perhaps
(is what i would of gotten if jay didnt make his antenna)

hope you feel better

Later

I tell people, "If you can't afford the I-10K, get a Maco V58."

The Maco is a fine antenna and worth the $90.00 they cost. Assembly is simple and straight forward. I assemble them all the time for people and do it a little differently.

Read about it here.

Thanks for all the help. I should be getting the antenna and tripod within a week and will post how it works out after I get the antenna up and tuned.

Thanks for everyone the help with the antenna setup. I followed your assembly instructions Master Chief and I have a 1.2 swr on channel 20 with just a little fine tuning to have it even from channel 40 to channel 1. This on a pole just 12 foot off the ground. The ground radials are 2 piece and at the present time I can only mount 1 section on all four posts. When I get it on the roof this week I will be able to get the other half of the radials on. This antenna is receiving and transmitting fantastic. Thanks again.

No problem Bootlegger. The next V58 I assemble, I'm going to take pictures and put up a downloadable instruction manual on CBTRICKS if BB is OK with it.

Master Chief on the wire that is exposed on the antenna. Do you cover it up on top side of where the PL 259 screws on. I will use coax seal on the PL 259 but was wondering about the top section that is exposed to the weather. Thanks.

Yep! Cover the top side of the connector too!

Some people upgrade the wire with a section of RG-8 shield (or braid). This isn't completely necessary. If you do use braid, be sure to seal it or the weather will get inside the braid and contaminate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio