• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257/MIC

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
I am using a workman base mic on my magnum 257, works perfect.
I plugged the original hand mic which came with the radio into...no go, it shows tx when the mic button is pushed, but no sign of modulation on am/ssb, it has a carrier on another receiver and nothing else, and yes the pot is turned up in the mic..
Any thoughts on this, and the mic wasn't dropped, sitting in desk draw, and worked before, I started using the workman

DOCTOR/795 :(

Sounds like the little "choke" on pin-6 (13.8VDC) got popped!
Since the stock mic is powered via pin-6,That's my best bet.
You can add your own seperate choke from the power on side of the OFF/ON switch thru a wire to pin-6 and you'll probably have your modulation back.I forget what value that choke is off hand.I had to replace the one in my blue-face 257 right after I purchased it..OOoooppppsss!!!!! Sam was nice enough to send me a couple new ones and told me exactly how to do it. He did,
however,ask me if I were solder iron friendly first tho.LOL!!!
I'm sure if you called him he'd send you a couple and that way you're sure to have the correct ones too.
Good luck.Slim.
P.S. I neglected to recommend that you first check to see if there is in fact 13.8VDC at pin-6!! If there is voltage present,then disregard everything I just pecked up top!LOL!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.