• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Manly-Man HT

Thestonerguy

Apr 3, 2005
Texas
www.cbgazette.com
While the HT market is devoted to smaller, and smaller HT's (trying to lure the younger cellphone segment into the hobby), it's time for older guys (or, younger guys with big fingers) to stand up for our rights and demand a "Manly-Man" HT - Hell, it could even be called the "Manly-Man HT" - with wide open spaces between the keys, a real BNC connector for the antenna, with an optional telescoping antenna and of course, and the main requirement - BIG and HEAVY.

I remember when I got my first HT in the 80's and stuck it on my belt and it dragged my pants down below butt crack level while people stared at me in Shock'n Awe, I'd look 'em in the eyes and give 'em a nod and wink because I was a mobile ham!!

It took awhile to get used to those big and heavy HT's....I'd get dressed in the morning and tighten my belt up near my chest, then attach the Manly-Man HT (knowing my belt would be waist level in a few hours) but filled with the knowledge that the heavier it was...the better it was.

I was a field tech in Houston at the time, and as I was walking down the sidewalk, pulling my tool cart behind me, occasionally I'd run across another Ham wearing his Manyly-Man HT. We'd do the usual Sergio Leone thing (eyeball staring with occasional glances at the other guys HT), circle each other (tripping several pedestrians in the process with our tool carts) and then slowly back off - always ending with a polite nod to the other fellow.

Manly-Man HT's were tough too - I dropped mine plenty of times and the only thing that broke were various toes...the HT kept on working though....

I went HT shopping not too long ago and when they handed me the latest model I felt like Will Smith in the movie "Men in Black" when he's handed a tiny, tiny weapon - "THIS is an HT??" I exclaimed. The man behind the counter (about my age) looked downward in shame as he nodded his head, for he too longed for the day of the Manly-Man HT.

So I as sit here, typing my plea to manufacturers, I am perfectly happy with my new purchase (IC-207, with belt clip and gel-cell pack with belt clip), but I'll be waiting....because someday the Manly-Man HT will make a comeback!!

You know something? I think I feel the same way. A big HT that doesn't look like a cellphone is a radio that looks like a radio. I've got a Yaesu FT- 51R with a long flexable antenna and speaker mic and it is as small as I am going to go. It's over 15 years old, I guess, and I'll use it til batteries are no longer made.

It is not as big as other HT's of the time, but much bigger than anything on the market now and the aftermarket antenna and the speaker mic with keys and display add to the looks of the thing.

Once, during Katrina, i went to the store with my FT-817 listeing to the Hurricane Net and some people asked me what it was. I told them and explained ham radio to them. They seemed impressed (which was the idea, natch.)

I guys are saying...

I have only been a CB operator since 1972
And only last couple of years been a Ham operator..

Curranly i use the Icom T-90A..
I have often given extremly high praise to this little radio..
Wishing it had as a good ability with 222 band (it does not)..

however there are indeed many HT's that are superior to it..
this includes some being made now..
mind you thay are not cheep..
but we all know price is relitive and many of us would and or are willing to spend money in a manor that many others would say is fullish or crazy (to hell with them though)

so what are these HT's
and are they Manly..

they are the Motorola HT's
such as the 500....750.....1250.....1500 and Pro Series..
problem is you need carry one for each band..
meaning i will have 3 to 5 manly HT's (all trying to drop my pants..lol)

Personally....
i will this summer be getting 2 of the Pro-1250 or 1500 HT's

I suppose it is like that series on tv..
when the guy takes the lawn mower engin out
and installs a V8 chevy engine

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.