• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Meter adjustment

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Happy New Year to ya.
I just put a new meter in my Cobra 25 Classic LTD.
The needle seems very sluggish and sticks.
Does the little set screws need to be adjusted?
Thanks
GOD BLESS

If you purchased it as new, I would ask for a replacement. Once those little meters start acting up its the easiest thing to do.. Only thing I would do other then replace is make sure the meter needle itself is not bent and contacting the frame. Other than that I wouldn't bother it probably has been damaged in some way.

Bummer.
I replace meters when they act that way.

If a old meter is a bit sticky; one can remove the cellophane tape on the bottom of the meter - and turn the screw 1/4 turn both ways a few times with a jewelers screwdriver. Bring that screw back to its original position after 'loosening up' the meter. Doesn't always work - best shot before replacing it. Then, replace the cello tape with a new piece - to keep the dust out!

Since it is new; it may have been damaged in shipment.

i doubt it would work on an incorrectly set new meter but when older meters get sticky you can sometimes use none intrusive cleaning,
suspend the meter movement over a small container of white spirit then cover the small container with a larger one and let the fumes do their thing,
its a trick i got from an old watchmaker/restorer, got me out of a bind several times;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.