• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna for handheld scanner

dway87

Oct 14, 2006
San Angelo,Tx / Fredericksburg,Tx
i just recently purchased a uniden bc246t scanner and will use it for both in my house and in my truck. now the question(s) i have is 1.) do i need a mobile antenna to use for in use in my truck and if so what antenna should i get. 2.) is the rubber antenna that it comes with good for mobile situations? i am new to the whole scanner business being in a vehicle. my dad has had a radio shack scanner for a few years that is awesome but only uses it for in the house.

dway87,
The 'Undertaker' is right, the existing antenna will probably work just fine. And as always, an antenna longer/higher would probably work 'better' for the weaker stations. As in some kind'a antenna not inside the metal of the vehicle, doesn't need to be anything special at all. The thing to do is try the antenna on the scanner. If it does what you want, why bother getting something else?
- 'Doc

Over the 30+ years of being stuck to a scanner(Former tow truck driver), I've found that the rubber ducks work 85% of the time. For the vehicles that the duck wouldn't work in, I found a simple piece of wire laid across the dash at the base of the windshield then stuck into the scanner where the antenna would mount worked GREAT!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.