• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile antenna not mounted on car

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
It I take a Comet SB14 (try band antenna, usually mounted on a car), and want to use it away from the car with my VX-8R.....

Should I expect difficulties (high SWR, or just bad reception)?
What are my options for conversion (do I just need a magnet mount or is there something better)?

Thinking that a larger antenna should have better reception and transmission, but.....? And I have not purchased a mobile antenna or mount for the vehicle ...yet.

Depends on where you want to use it. DGet a mag mount, and stick it to the fridge, or get the largest steel cookie tray for the oven and stick it to that. It should be fine. Lots better than no antenna at all.(y)

Yeah, you need some type of counterpoise. You can do that a lot of different ways, but you need something.

I am not sure why you would wrap anything around your ht antenna. Easier to do like I said before and stick it to something steel. You dont need any wire.

Can a mobile antenna be used mounted on something other than a vehicle? Yes. Basically, you only have to provide the other half of that antenna like a vehicle's body does. Sounds simple till you get down to the nutz'n'boltz of it, then it get's kind'a more difficult.
That mobile antenna mount is the 'handle' the vehicle uses to hold onto the antenna. So if you want to hold that antenna you have to figure out a 'handle' for you to use to hold on to it. Same for in/on a house, tree, music stand, whatever, you need a 'handle' and the other half of the antenna. You can adapt almost anything if you have enough imagination. That antenna (and radio) doesn't have a lot of imagination so you have to get things sort of right for it, you know?
Since it's a tri-band antenna, the absolute minimum to use as the 'other half' is a counterpoise that's 'cut' for th lowest frequency of use. Just like that 'rat-tail' antenna thingy for your HT, except longer. If you want to do that for all three bands, fine and dandy, or just make do with that longer one (same thing that happens when it's on a vehicle).
Is it 'dead-nutz-easy'? Nope, but it certainly isn't impossible either.
- 'Doc

i have seen people use cookie sheets before. i have also seen where guys with installs on there motorcycles with trunks use a small piece of metal under the lid and attach the antenna to that. they all claim to have had really good results.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.