• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna

If you are looking for a dual-band antenna then the longer it is the better is will be, sort of. Longer meaning that there are probably more than a single radiating element on each bad, an array in other words. That only 'works' so far, then it gets sort of ridiculous.
A single antenna for each band will probably 'top out' as a 5/8 wave. They do work well and are still practical (such as when hitting things).
I've gone both routes, wish I still had the single band antennas. No really noticeable difference from the dualies with high gain claims, except in the wallet department.
I would recommend an 'NMO' type mount though. They are much stronger than the '239'/'259' types, are really water proof, and contrary to popular belief, that hole they require just ain't no big deal at all. Stay away from mag-mounts.
After that, which antenna you want is up to you...
- 'Doc

http://www.antenex.com/index051206.htm C144/440C 2/5dB they work okay and not overly expensive. the other would be a larsen NMO2/70 both are esentially the same antenna and both are used by govt. police dept and the military. Iv'e had the several of the "hi gain" imports and every one broke and hasn't worked any better than either of theese 2. my antenex dual bander is very well constructed it has been on the roof of my suburban for 5 years now through all kinds of weather and on/off (automatic car wash) and the SWR has not ever changed. Never have a problem hearing or hitting repeaters 50/60 away. my club repeater is 53 miles from work and i'm on it every day to and from work. and what DOC said about the 5/8 wave top out is true any claims above that is just bovine fecal matter, plenty of documented proof of that too.

Last edited:
I run a Diamond 7900, pricey but it really does have an edge over smaller antennas, I like it quite a bit, particularly when running simplex.

I have a larsen 2/70B but I side mount for a Jeep Wrangler and that antenna likes a ground plane right under it so I'll use that one for my other car.

my "super gainer" 7900 was one of those expensive imports that broke while going down a bumpy road, and my 1/2 the price antenex dual bander is reaching the same as the super gainer. never again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.