• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile/Portable HF Unit? FT-897D

Sep 4, 2012
Okay so first off I know I have been posting a lot lately and I want to say I have been searching the forums and google/universal-radio/hamcity/etc before posting. I was browsing universal-radio and noticed that the FT-897D was a mobile/base HF/6m/2m/70cm rig that also had the ability to be battery powered. I was wondering what other if any rigs, other than the FT-817/857, out there have this capability? I really like the idea of carrying one radio that would give me HF/6m/2m/70cm capabilites on either vehicle power, generator, or battery, it seems like a perfect all in one SHTF/survival radio. If you've been reading my other post's you have probably realized where my interest in HAM lies. :p

That's pretty much the only one like that unless you move toward military style gear. Yaesu sells a lot of those rigs for the very reasons you are outlining. You still need some type of tuner added on, though. The most popular is the LDG version that screws on the side of the radio.

Other than PRC-77 I haven't seen too much portable Military gear available, also power sources are a PITA as well, unless your using house power or start soldering things and make your own battery packs, always an option I mean hell we find ways to charge our cell phones from 2590's and use soda can's to hook our car chargers up to 24v DC systems.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.