• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile station / Jeep pics

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I finally took some updated pictures of the Jeep. Not pictured is the TNC that I sometimes take with me and toss in the back seat, powered by 12v cig plug. The TNC lets me send/receive email from anywhere over the air.

This is my 2m/440, 6m-80m Ham/CB/MARS portable station.

Side view showing the Hi-Q coil and cap hat on the back:
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1051-side-view.jpg

Front view - the Hi-Q and Firestik antenna are visible. The 2m/440 is there too, but it's blending into the background.
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1050-front-view.jpg

Texas Ranger speaker on the left modified with SGC DSP board installed inside for CB. Clearspeech DSP speaker on the right for Ham.
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1049-dsp-speakers-cb-ham.jpg

Icom 706MKIIG buried under the driver seat. The radio brackets had to be modified to fit.
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1045-icom-706mkiig-under-driver-seat.jpg

Uniden 520 with Road Devil mic
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1044-uniden-520-road-devil-mic.jpg

Icom 706MKIIG head and Ameritron antenna controller
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1042-icom-706mkiig-head-ameritron-antenna-controller.jpg

Ameritron ALS-500M remote control
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1043-remote-control-ameritron-als-500-amplifier.jpg

Rear view of the three antennas: Comet 2m/440, Hi-Q 4/80, & Firestik CB
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1041-rear-view-jeep.jpg

Hi-Q 4/80 Load coil with cap hat and 3' stinger. This will do 6m-80m. I take the stinger off if I'll be stationary for a long time and put a 12' telescoping whip in place of the short stinger.
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1040-hi-q-4-80rt-cap-hat-whip.jpg

Ameritron ALS-500M 500 watt 10m-160m amplifier. Bracket and face cover installed to protect the face from whatever else happens to be tossed in the back.
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1039-ameritron-als-500m-amplifier.jpg

Hi-Q Quick Release mount install with shunt coil to match 40/80 meters.
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1038-hi-q-antenna-mount-intall.jpg

Comet 2m/440 on a custom made antenna mount
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1037-custom-made-antenna-bracket-2m-440-comet-mobile.jpg

4' Firestik on a custom made Antenna mount
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1036-custom-mount-firestik-cb-antenna.jpg

Did I mention that I can do digital modes while stationary? Sony UMPC and Rigexpert sound card interface:
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1047-digital-capability-rigexpert-sony-umpc.jpg

Sony UMPC with keyboard extended. This stuff gets put away while driving:
moleculo-albums-mobile-station-picture1048-sony-umpc-keyboard-extended.jpg

BTW-Does the MARS gig have downsides?
Upsides?

Downsides (This is just MY worthless opinion!) - The time committment. You have to commit to 12 on the air hours per quarter, which isn't that hard to do, but you have to make an effort. We're all volunteers - that means it is difficult to get people to do things sometimes. There are a bunch of jobs that need to be done and not enough people willing to do them. The nets can be boring if there isn't any traffic, but doing it the same way keeps you sharp.

Upsides - You learn how to operate and run an ECOM net VERY efficiently. This is no joke - MARS nets are generally run very precise & professionally compared to other ECOM nets. Nobody is perfect and it's always a learning process, but you learn to do it right. You learn how to send and receive messages over HF in a time of emergency. A MARS person could be the best resource for a local ECOM organization ot have access to in a widespread emergency. This is because MARS is an HF ECOM organization, while local stuff is typically only VHF/UHF. You get access to surplus equipment if there is any (hasn't been anything I wanted in a while, though). MARS is now an official Auxilliary branch of the military, so we're supposed to get access to special events, commisary, etc. That JUST happened, so those details are still being worked out. Also, most places will accept your military MARS ID as a form of military ID and give you military discounts if they have them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.