• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mod Clipping Vs. Turning Pots

Cowboy

Apr 11, 2005
Florida
What do you think what the best to tune a radio just for instance a cobra 29ltd classic (older style). I seem to see at the local cb shops I been to, they're known to clip the limiter but the radio sounds real good and clean? Hows that?

with the widely varying range of individual hearing abilities what might sound loud and clean might not be........that's why we have rf monitor scopes and spectrum analyzers, to eliminate the human variables. i've never seen a clean signal under these conditions with amc disabled unless mic input levels were insufficient.

the seasoned tech with reasonably good hearing can most often detect whether or not the amc has been disabled simply by listening to the transmitter on another receiver, sans the talkback.

Freecell speaks the truth , even though we really don't talk to machines Cowboy , I personally wouldn't cut the limiter in your 29 ....there's really no reason to do so .....I would just assume to turn up the VR in the radio for the audio .....but even then as far as the machines go ......you can even turn that one up a bit to much )-: only way of telling what's really going on would be with the tools of the trade. I think you would be much better off just turning up the VR and leaving it at that if you don't have any other methods of testing your radio......but believe me , theres truly no need to clip or cut anything in your 29.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.