• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More amperage

canoe

Oct 13, 2008
Eastern Ontario Canada
I have an astron 50 amp power supply, and need more amperage. I have a transport size battery that I would like to hook up to my junction point.
( power supply, amplifier, and now battery ) The battery would provide the extra amperage. My question is would the power supply act as a battery charger, or if I connect a battery charger to the battery, would it do any damage to the power supply? And, could I leave the charger on all the time, or only when I'm not using the equipment?

I am a little confused as to why you need more amperage?

In my experience and only mine mind you, Is that a battery (assuming 12 v system here) provides the big amps when starting a vehicle then once the vehicle is started it kinda sits there and acts as a capacitor. It acts as a capacitor in such a way that if a large load is is applied to the battery and more than alternator can supply the battery will drain till the load is removed.

Kinda like in back in the day when loud car stero system were becoming popular. you would see peoples head lights dim to the beat of the music.

If you are looking at the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of a battery and seeing numbers like 500 575 625 and even 900 CCA then read this little part.

"Cold Cranking Amps is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0° Farenheit for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery."

So why do you think you need more amperage?

And hooking a battery charger while operating i think would be a bad idea. I dont have any fundamental reason why not to this but if you are drawing more then 50 amps most local 12v battery chargers operate around 1 to 15amps. You draw a big load while charger is hooked you could fry your charger. Also there are no noise filters and what inside battery chargers who knows what kinda freaky noise you could be intoducing into your electrical system.

But the battery in a parallel with PS and charging afterwards would be ok.
Just would like to know why you need more amps?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.