• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More Help With Trashing A TV

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Help please :headbang I need all I can get
128fs318181.gif

Radio comes across TV speakers in next room. This late model CRT TV, like most sets of that type, has an energized circuit to "easy up" the tube when turning TV on. So even though the TV may be off, it is still partially powered up.

Satellite content. Still interfere with sat. cable disconnected so that's ruled out. Eliminate the interference by unplugging the TV from power...which is what I do during the day so I'm not listening to myself come over the TV.

So this shows that I'm coming in on/through the TV's energized circuit; and not simply over the speakers or speaker circuit itself.

So what can I try next? The interference comes over the speakers....isn't there a capacitor that can be put across the speaker terminals? Easy to try.
If so what voltage and value, and what type? Barrel Can? Ceramic Disk? Tantalum?

Any other suggestions for fixes?? I'm desperate :confused::eek: This is totally preventing me from talking at night and that's not good.

Muchas gracias amingos (y)
interview.gif

Maybe the electrical wiring in the house is radiating? Try putting an rf choke on the power wire of your radio and another one on the power wire of the TV set - as close to the radio/tv as possible.

ferrite on the coax or power lead of the TV is a good thing to try, but you will need more than one or two snap on chokes. think more like 5 or 10.
and you need to get the right mix of ferrite too.

rfparts company, or amidon should have what you need if you choose that route.

the first thing i would do is terminate all unused wall plate jacks for your satellite system.

not sure where to get them, but somebody sells little screw on shorting plugs for the wall jacks for cable and satellite systems.

as for the bypass caps, ceramic disc caps are fine. .01uF to .1uF are the values to try. 50 volts should be fine if they are going on the speaker terminals.
or just buy a bunch of 1,000 volt caps and you wont have to worry about where you put them.

oh, before you try the caps, try some ferrite beads on the wires going to the speakers.
try to put at least three or four turns of wire around the bead.
this has worked in the past for me.

good luck,
LC

How far is the feedpoint of the antenna from the TV? Your best ally there is distance, and in many cases that's about the only thing that'll work. Do you have any other TV sets in the house? If so, are they affected?

Could be that your TV and associated stuff is simply susceptible to RF. I've been pretty lucky in that regard. Every TV we've had, from the 25" Heathkit GR-2001 to the 27" Circuit City CRT thing we have now has been virtually immune to RFI. My HF antennas are fed about 45 feet directly above the TV; power levels up to 1.5 KW. No problems for me and no complaints from the neighbors.

Good luck!
K7KBN

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.