• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More money than brains?

Can you ask the seller why the needles are not at zero with no power to the radio?

Sure, sellers are always 100% truthful. LOL
Maybe the photo was taken when the radio was powered-up to verify the radio works. Is it normal for the SWR needle to move on receive mode?

No. SWR meters should have ZERO deflection on receive since it measures the antenna match that the TRANSMITTER sees.

If you go search for cobra 2000 there are at least a dozen listings $4500 less that this one......
Naw, lets burn 5 grand on a 40 year old radio that the seller won't even confirm that transmits.... Oh boy!
Stupid is as stupid does.

Jeff
I do not know the age, but I had a GE 3-5871B for about two years and I believe I was the second owner.
The radio was pristine, not molested / modified and worked great with (just about) 4 watts. Every now and then I'd plug it in, connect the antenna and used the radio for several days and put it back in the closet. I've been doing this routine for almost two years.
Yesterday I connected the antenna, plugged-in the power cord, keyed the mic to check the output and it was at 4 watts dead key and I was a happy camper. I listened to skip for a few minutes and then I keyed the mic to make contact with a guy in FL. When I released the mic button to wait for a reply, all of a sudden, the transmit light came on (dim) and the radio was sort of in a "half-transmit" mode without depressing the mic and no receive. I turned off the radio and said, WTF? Not a big deal because I paid $80.00 for this nice nostalgic radio.
I can only imagine what would happen if someone paid $5000.00 for the old Cobra 2000 and the radio died as my GE.

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: