• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mounting A 2000 GTL In A Custom Box

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
Where should I mount a 2000 GTL in my 02 dodge caravan I was thinking between the 2 front seats that is the only place where I would be able to reach the switches buttons if need be. So where do you recommond to mount this radio in a cumstom box so it would be easy to get to the button switches?

Not being a smart ass, but mount it at home and get a Grant XL or a Cobra 148 for the van.

Same radio, not nearly worth as much.

I am not sure what the inside of your van looks like, but if there is room to put it sideways inbetween the seats, that should work. Just don`t let it get you distracted while driving down the road, and mount it in such a way that it will not interfere with safe driving. To some guys it sounds a bit odd to have that big of a radio in your car, but if that is what you got.....for now it will work. I had a Yaesu 101-B mounted in a station wagon once, one hell of a mobile ham station, but it worked real well!
Jeff

imho this isnt a good idea.simply cause they werent designed for shock
and vibration treatment it,ll get in your mobile.id get a unden grant or 148
or texas ranger

imho this isnt a good idea.simply cause they werent designed for shock
and vibration treatment it,ll get in your mobile.id get a unden grant or 148
or texas ranger

I tend to agree with the Rod , although , nothing wrong with being different . It will work but those radios were one hell of a AM/SSB base station , if yours is in good shape ? will fetch a pretty penny nowadays. Vibration could really be a problem for you DJ , and what 74 mentioned (and he's never a smart ass :glare:) a 148 or Grant XL would be more suited for your van , pretty much the same as your 2000 minus the freq counter and on board power supply the 2000 offers. You can pretty much get either radio for under a C-note via Ebay , then just have it tuned and or alighned by a good radio man. (if you even had to do that ?) good luck to you DJ , man !! Your always after doing something different , I'll surely give you that much. Peace

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.