• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mounting on a full size van

thetnhillbilly

Jun 28, 2006
Tennessee, U.S.A.
A friend of mine will soon be ready to get set up for some cb use. He has a full size van (A-Team style) with a huge homemade brush/push bar and all sorts of compartments built into the floor (its pretty neat for a van). Anyway, I told him I would post on here and get opinions on what works and what doesn't for vans. Height is an issue here in TN, we have tons of trees and plenty of other (DOT issued) obstacles. Surely some of you have had experience- good or bad- with vans. Thanks.

The same general principals apply to a van as to any other vehicle. The antenna should be mounted as high, and as far (horizontally) from any body panels as possible. The best place to put an antenna is on top of, and in the center of the roof. That obviously isn't going to be as possible as other places. So, back to the general 'rule', and decide what is most 'possible' for his situation.
- 'Doc

Thanks for the replies, but I need to reiterate that height is an issue, so on the top won't work (unless it were really short, which would end up being useless, right). He is not one of those people who wants to make sure it still fits in his garage or anything silly like that. It is just that he lives far out in the county where there are a lot of low hanging branches, one lane underpasses (under railroad tracks), etc. Anything up high is really going to get beat up. I was thinking a 4' (mabey 5') fiberglass on a hood channel mount might be a decent compromise between height and performance for him, but mabey someone else has seen or done something on a van with height issues that worked well.

Your suggestion is probably about as good as any other 'compromise' of the general 'rule'. It will have some 'qwerks' in it's performance (sort of directional) but then, driving a 'full sized' van, and living where he does, has it's 'qwerks' too - lol.
A fibreglass antenna just isn't one of my favorite things. I've had a few and always seem to find something to break them on. So, if it were me, I'd probably use one of the commonly available base loaded antennas. That's just personal preference though, so whatever kind of antenna that 'grabs' him will probably do as well as any other, under the circumstances. Since it would be mounted lower than the roof, a longer type antenna will probably have more room before the end of it starts getting warped from hitting things. Not much help, but more a matter of 'what'cha got' or have available, sort of. Then it's just a matter of learning to live with it (the hardest part).
Good luck.
- 'Doc

put the antenna on the roof,a base loaded antenna with a steel whip will take a hell of a beating before it gives up.and replacement whips are cheap anyway.keep a trunk full of spares!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.