• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Quad Project

D

Devildog 985

Well I am working on my own 4 element horizontal quad project. I have my 4 hubs, the aluminum and fiberglass spreaders the boom and wire. I am not setting it up in the traditional diamond. I will be setting it up in the square configuration horizontal. I was wondering what i can use to feed it. this is where im getting lost. the feed point is going to be on the bottom horizontal wire on the director. Do I use a balun at my feed point and if so will it be 50 0hm input. Thanks all, Jim

</p>

D'.Dog,

The input impedance ought to be close to somewhere close to 50 ohms, no way to know till you measure it. As for using a balun, you can if you want to. If you do, I'd try a 1:1 balun since the impedance should be close to start with. You can also use a 'choke' instead of a balun, few coils of coax at the feed point. Both will do about the same thing.

Good luck...

- 'Doc

</p>

Doc the problem I have been running into so far is most of the antenna calculations from the different sites give different lengths. I am also confused on the feed point but working on it right now. I plan to run the quad horizontal and the feed point will be on the bottom part of the director.

But have mfj 259 will travel. Thanks for that link Skip Talker. When I get home I will have to check it out more. I am going to start assembling what I have so far this coming weekend.

Thanks, Jim

</p>

You are right Doc, I meant to say the driven element. I also just finished reading some info on a site were they discovered that odd number of elements perform better than even. I still have a few more sites that was sent to me to read. I think I can build the quad with all the deminsions i have and the work on how to feed it. Thanks, Jim

</p>

Here are some pics of the quad project. My Webshots

I have decided to go with a 3 element quad and expand once I figure this out. Eventually going to a 4 element quad. The problem I have now is I dont want to take my other quad down and I need some more parts. I need 4 more spreaders, the aluminum and fiberglass pieces. Anyone know where I can get them at ? Around here the metal places dont carry it this small. Also the wire has a 3 on it CSA I AWM 1180 300V 200C E 12683 CH now this is the wire that came with the skyking parts I got from Dean. Can I splice this ? Some of the pieces will not be long enough according to the measuments for the Quad calculator. I imagine that the 300v = volts and the 200c = celcius can anyone enlighten me on this wire. Thanks, Jim

On Edit: What determins the impedance of the antenna.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=devildog985>Devildog 985</A> at: 1/6/04 1:41 pm

Doc, I am going to go with a 4 element. It just seems odd for a 3. The wire has been prestreatched but Im would like to know how many watts it can handle. I have scratched what aluminum and fiberglass rods I have. does not meet the length from the from the antenna calculator. I have found one place that does carry fiberglass rods fairly reasonable it www.mgs4u.com/ and This place for the aluminum www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm

Thanks, Jim

</p>

dxChat
Help Users