• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mysteriously lost my base Antenna feed today

cphilip

Sep 10, 2006
Clemson SC
www.cphilip.com
Just doesn't have any receive or send. Out of the blue too. No storms in the last few days and no reason that I can see.

Antron 99

A bit of heavy dew this morning but it was dry when I powered up at like 1pm. Radio and Scanner both have no recieve so I know it's something further up the line. Took the two way switch out of line and no decent signal again. Can get the radio to receive weather stations is all... but it sounds a bit weak. I suspect its pulling that from a length coax. The SWR is fine on the radio which I would have expected not to be but I guess if it's got enough wire to give it impedence it might not be that bad. No in or out signals though.

Both mobils in the Truck and the Trailer are recieveing and sending fine to each other. But not to the base. Nor is the base sending out to them. Not even picking up the normal chatter on CB 19 on this base. But then again when the Scanner is hooked up to this very same antenna on that two into one switch, its not getting anything either. Even when I eliminate the switch completely and directly attach the antenna coax to it as well. Not even the weather stations are coming in on the scanner though. So that rules out the switch I think. And it rules out the two short Coax jumpers that run each to the switch. It must be down the line right?

And I checked the tighness of the connection at the Lightning protector. Thats good. Grounds are all good to antenna and protector and then to ground.

Went up on the roof and took the Antenna down and check tightness of the sections and the coax connection. Don't see any breaks or wear spots. Put that all back up and still nothing.

So I have tried eliminating the switch, jumpers and the problems on the other end at the antenna at this point. Got nothing more to do that I can think of there. cannot see inside the Antenna so don't know. Do they go bad? I mean its not been subjected to anything serious. A few breezy days or two. Nothing over 25 mph at any time. And few of those. And worked after those as a matter of fact. Surely it can take that easy.

I would have suspected the radio at some point (well I did but) if it was not that the Scanner also is not recieving. And they both went like this at the same time. No receive. The only thing shared that is left is it's path to the two. And that the Coax (assuming the Antenna is good)

I have to assume now I have an internal break in a coax. So I got two runs to determine. My suspicion is the one first run of 20 feet because it is a Radio Shack bought section. The second long run is a more quality piece and wire that I ordered made up and it has much better quality ends but it goes under ground for about 15 feed. That area appears undisturbed but... who knows.

Any suggestions? I really cannot think of a way to check continuity of them without taking them down. But I guess I need to. I might eliminate the Lightning arrestor with a simple joint fitting before I do. just to be sure. I don't have any way to generate a reading at one end and read it at the other that I can think of.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Or test methods in some fashion that I could employ. Or anything in that list you think is overlooked. Or in the end... a simplistic test for an Antenna like the A-99.

cphilip,
The only thing I can see that you haven't tried is to remove the lightning arrester (or by-pass it). If that 'cures' the problem then replace the arrester. If it doesn't, then disconnect the feed line from the antenna, and from the radio. Measure the resistance of the feed line. It should be 'infinite', an open circuit. If it shows any resistance at all then it's shorted somewhere. Sounds like you have two 'runs' of coax, so checking resistance on each one should tell you which is shorted. Same for the switch. If you haven't found the problem yet, then it has to be one of two things, the radio(s), or the antenna. Trying each seperately should tell you which is at fault. It's all a process of elimination.
- 'Doc

PS - If EVERYTHING shows as working properly then you have reached the dreaded point of electrical problem investigation! It's time to get a scantily clad midget hula dancing witchdoctor to perform his/her magic by dancing around your house...

try unhooking your coax at both ends and hook a battery or your power supply to the coax in series with a low wattage 12v lamp to test for a short between braid and centre conductor,
if you dont have a short then hook the coax straight to the power supply and go back on the roof with the lamp and see if it will light when powering it through the coax,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/ukmudduck/bigmack/testcoaxforshort.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/ukmudduck/bigmack/testcoaxforopencircuit.jpg

sorry about my poor drawing,

DO NOT HOOK POWER UP WHILE THE COAX IS CONNECTED TO THE ANTENNA,

if the coax checks out ok it could be the fairly common problem with a99's, the wire snaps off the matching network at the bottom of the radiator,

i hope its just some moisture thats got in somewhere that you can dry and seal,

good luck.

The concept of it being in the Lightning arrestor is good because, other than just checking the tighness of that connection I did not take it apart. So thats a good next place to start. And yes, moisture could get in there. Its under the eve of the house but its sitting straight up and down. I had worried about that. But in order to put a lightning arrestor in line I had to have two seperate runs so that there was a joint there to put the arrestor in. thats where the new ground rod is. If it turns out to be then I will have to build a shroud for that connection. I do have a direct female/female connector to try there. Just ran out of time to get that far yesterday. I can blow it out with canned air and or contact cleaner and try that this evening. It could indeed be moisture in the junction at the lightning arrestor. That is a very likely place. I will try that first because its simple.

The test lamp idea is brilliant. I will have to solder up one mabe with an aligator clamp and a 12V bulb. And a way to attach it to the power supply but certainly doable and a tool to keep after that. However along that lines I could simply hook up a connection to the power supply and input voltage and go to each other end and check it with a meter too? Thanks!

And thanks for the tip on the antenna. If all else is eliminated then that coudl likely be the issue I guess. I could simply take one of my fire sticks and go up there and attach it and see if the radio gets receive again. That would diagnose that issue I think.

And if it then turns out to be the radio, its new and under warranty so just a bother but what isn't? :D But would be best to eliminate ALL other things first I guess. To avoid an unnessicary expense of shipping. Plus the sudden onset of performace change of the scanner thats sharing that same antenna tells me it is in the line or antenna.

Ok.... fixed I think. I came home and took that connection at the arrestor apart and even though it appeared dry (which it might be as it just dried out on its own) but I blew it out with canned air and reconnected it and all receive is restored. Not certain about send but assume it is as well.

So I guess I need to condom that connection. I think will just get a little PVC electical box and cover and make a dry box to mount up there. Something I can unscrew the cover off of and get to everything but can seal up nicely.

cphilip said:
Ok.... fixed I think. I came home and took that connection at the arrestor apart and even though it appeared dry (which it might be as it just dried out on its own) but I blew it out with canned air and reconnected it and all receive is restored. Not certain about send but assume it is as well.

So I guess I need to condom that connection. I think will just get a little PVC electical box and cover and make a dry box to mount up there. Something I can unscrew the cover off of and get to everything but can seal up nicely.

Get rid of the arrestor and just run a single piece of coax into your house. Put a small choke balun at the feedpoint and be done with it.

Every connection adds loss, as well as adds a point of rf leakage. It also adds a potential breakage point.

I'd almost be willing to bet your problem isn't related to any moisture, it's related to a crappy connector installation.

It happens. I had to replace some of mine the other day. PL connectors are not easy to install correctly.

That is all

Good day.

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.