• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need An Electronic Tech To Help Figger Somin' Out

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
This is for any tech who has a few minutes to try and figure out a problem for funnzies and if you're willing of course.

I am still making the Tweety Bird noise toy. I clean and do any refurbishing necessary to several D104 models and Turner +3's, install them and resell. Folks keeping buying them so there is a market.

The Tweety fires a single "tweet" when you key the mic, then makes the repeating tweet when the activation button is pushed.

The Key Up tweet is accomplished by the presence of a polarized capacitor across the activation button. When the mic is keyed the capacitor's charge is dumped into the circuit creating the noise. Cap is recharged when the mic is unkeyed.

Here's the problem. This Key Up tweet (KUT) is found to function only on certain mic models. It will not do the KUT in mics with more extensive electronic circuit boards OR if you install it in a radio. The toy will otherwise function normally (fires when activation button is pushed).

Toy Ground (TG) is normally connected to mic chassis, which is isolated from Battery Negative. (Toy will not KUT if TG is connected to battery negative)

So the tweety works fine (does KUT) in D104 TUG8's, TUG9's and any TUP9 stand except for K Eagles. And the Turner mics are fine.

Will NOT do the KUT in K Eagles, Galaxy Echo (Sadelta clones), Synchrons etc.... or again, if installed in a radio.

I've tried connecting TG to every other possible grounding point. I've tried diodes on Toy pos & grd to allow current flow in the proper direction but preventing backflow. I've tried isolating the circuit boards from the chassis. None of this worked.

Something is preventing the capacitor from charging, or more likely, discharging properly, when the mic is keyed in these mics with more extensive circuit boards. I am not not a schooled technician, just a tinkerer and cannot figuring out what is causing this situation. Everything else about these installations remains the same and is essentially a three wire hookup with 1) 9V pos. 2) chassis [non-battery negative] ground 3) audio

Anybody have any ideas? I appreciate ya !
interview.gif

Do you mean it only works in dynamic and power dynamic microphones? I'm not familiar with all those mikes.

I already had the schematic.I need a diagram of how you hook it to, let's say, a TUG8 to produce the KUT.

Well then I don't know what else to tell you. It connects as shown in the diagram.

The only thing the diagram doesn't show is that the capacitor across the push button (shown as SWITCH) is polarized. So the pos. side of cap. goes towards 9V+ source (battery) and the NEG side of cap goes towards the 9V+ on Toy.

Ground (NEG) from Toy goes to mic metal chassis (pick a spot, doesn't matter) by a single wire.

Toy AUDIO goes to mic cord WHITE audio wire on terminal strip.

How is it connected to the key-up switch in the mike to initiate the KUT ??

It's not. It is merely connected to the audio output of the mic so the toy plays along just like spoken voice. This is the way all noise toys work. The toy is live when the mic is live. Mic is live when you key the mic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.