• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Needle slams

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Hello to all.
Today my Cobra 25 LTD Classic started when I key up the needle slams to the right.
I have the swing mod in it and a variable using the rf gain knob.
Even when I have it set to 2 watts it still slams.
Any ideas?
Thanks
GOD BLESS

Make sure that the SWR has not changed. Sometimes when this happens it will cause the radio meter to act strange. Most of the tuned 25's I've seen will send the needle to the corner when you are talking on it.

BC

Does the meter go into the corner when you key the mike or do you have to speak into it for this to happen. It seems I have seen this before.........maybe a diode or cap in the xmit meter circuit. I'll see if I made a not of it.

BC

oldtimer,

while im glad the pot adjustment seemed to work for you, there is still a chance that you just masked the real problem by turning this pot down.

you say your radio just started doing this one day when you turned it on, and it didnt do this before that time?

do you really think that pot just magically moved itself from the time you shut the radio off working normally to the time you next turned it on and found that it was pegging the needle?

while that is in the realm of possibility just because nothing is impossible; im thinking that the cause of your problem lies external to the radio.

if your radio had a built in SWR meter i would say that you might have left it in the CAL position by accident, but i dont think the 25LTD's have that feature.

to me it sounds like a bad coax connection somewhere.

do you have an SWR meter that you can hook up between the radio and the antenna to see if the SWR is ok?

check through all your coax connections that are in line such as meters, amps, filters, antenna, etc...

wiggle coax connections while watching the SWR meter with the mic keyed.
if it bounces around you have a coax problem.

is there a chance that this problem is related to some recent weather you've been having? IE-the connection at the antenna has been stressed or otherwise compromised.

let us know what you find,
LC

Really does sound like a coax, connector mount SWR problem. Chek everything. If you have or have access to a MFJ 259 use it. Also check you coax for shorts. same with you mount bad ground or no ground. Just a starting point. Although you meter adjustment could be out of calibration not likely to happen over night.

dodgem,

you might want to read the OP again.

he said this just started happening to his radio "today".

if the adjustment pot were the culprit, why would it have just started happening all of a sudden?

as far as having to adjust the RF meter pot when adding a swing kit, only a slight tweak of the pot is needed if the needle slams to the right with modulation, but that is not the problem he is having.
his needle slams to the right when he deadkeys.

you really dont think this is an SWR problem?
maybe the reason he hasnt responded to this thread is that he realized that his antenna wasnt connected and doesnt want to say so. LOL J/K

LC

LC is right.
After re-reading the original post, it may be a bad SWR that is the fault.
Oldtimer, if you have a 50 ohm dummy load - I would disconnect your antenna and put the dummy load on the radio and key it up. Then, read your TX power meter on the radio - it should say "2". If not; then the TX power meter wasn't properly adjusted.

I would surely make sure the SWR is correct - first. If the SWR isn't between 1.1 to 3 (preferrably between 1.1 to 1.5); then it may burn out your final. No one wants that to happen...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio