• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Cobra hg 2000 is no good

30-30man

Feb 7, 2006
I bought a cobra hg 2000 antenna new about a week ago. I just tried to install it and it has coax problems. SWR is off the charts and antenna damage lights up on the radio. I checked it with an ohm meter and the coax is bad. This is the antenna with the huge gold coil that is supose to compete with the Wilson.Yeah right! I'll buy Wilsons from here on, I guess you get what you pay for. The Cobra was about $25 cheaper than the Wilson. I guess I learned the hard way. I hope no one else has made this mistake. :x

Well, return the antenna to where you bought it and exhange it for another one. Nothin unusual to have damaged coax on a mag mount even brand new. It happens sometimes.

30-30man said:
I checked it with an ohm meter and the coax is bad.

Did it show a dead short? The Wilson 1000/5000 does too. They should as that is the way they are designed.

I can't speak for the Cobra antenna, but if it is a copy of the Wilson, I'm sure they are using a shunt feed too.

I think it is the connector. It must be where the short is. The Cobra is all press fitted so you can't take it apart. The atenna looks well made but I have never purchased an antenna that had defective coax out of the box. I purchased the antenna from GI joes and they said the same thing as it is shunt fed, whatever that means. I'll try to replace and solder a new connector. Thanks, Guys ;)

A shunt fed antenna WILL show a short if you check it with an ohm meter! They are supposed to! You never answered my first questions from the post above!

If the antenna can be removed from the mount, thus isolating the coax from the antenna, the "short" should go away. If it does not, only then do you have a problem with the coax/connector. Don't cut it off just because you don't understand how the antenna works! Or learn the hard way.....cut it off.....solder on a new one.....and find out you still have the same problem!

The antenna went from having a great swr 1:2 to going off the charts and the light on my radio going off indicating an antenna problem. The SWR is off the charts now, over 3. That is what made me think it was a coax problem. As far as a short from the antenna shaft to the base, no. It only has this short in the coax. Forgive me guys, I'm not very familar with a magnet mount antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.