• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New member - extremely interested

Stevo02TJ

Oct 1, 2005
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Hey, I just signed up. I've been searching through the posts for the past week or so -- plethora of information!! Just what I like to see in a forum. :D

Ok, on to my setup. I have a Ratshack TRC-503 Mobile base in my Jeep Wrangler, stock mic, 20 ft. of RG-58 coaxial cable hooked up to a firestikII 3' antenna.

I've decided this isn't enough, and I can't exactly get out when I want to. So I've decided to upgrade. I'm moving to a Uniden 78 Elite, with RG-58A/U Coax, and either a Wilson 5000 Trucker series antenna or a Predator 10K with a 22" shaft or I might get a 102" SS Whip. I'm sort of steering away from a predator because it might be awkward to find a good spot on the jeep.

Any input on the set up I want would be great. Please, don't come on here and tell me Uniden is crap...just tell me something that might be better.

Also, I will be purchasing this set up (as of today, and until I find someone better) from Clay's Radio Shop. Could anyone comment on them also? Are they reputable, knowledgable technicians that I can trust inside my radio?

Thanks, and sorry for the long first post. I look forward to being here and learning more about the radio hobby. (I also plan on getting my technician's license in Amateur Radio here soon.)

your set up

either the 10k or wilson 5000 woul dbe a great choice for a antenna. I see alot of people mount them either on the spare tire rack ( if u have one) or in the right above the Tail light but the would require some drilling into the body which i dont know u woudl really wanna do that just yet. The uniden 78 is a good radio , but i f u get interested in sideband or wanting extra channels their are alot of compact radios which do the job just fine such as the midland 79-290 & magnum 257

I have the Arizona Rocky Road mount for the spare tire carrier here. How well do the Pyramid Antenna Ball Mounts work? This requires a 1" hole, and three 1/4" holes in the body. I am willing to drill a few holes if it means a clean installation and works properly.

I like the idea of SSB, but I don't know much about it. (I do know it's a whole different band of channels.) In fact, I was thinking about a Galaxy DX949 for the SSB, but I'd also like some NOAA Weather channels. I havn't found a CB yet that has both. Have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Stevo

radio

i agreee i would get a 10k 27inch or the wilson 5000 trucker antenna. if u wan ta radio with ssb and weather the midland 79-290 would be your best bet . SSB is on the same channels but in differnt side i guess u can say. that mount would work but forget the ball mount . talk to kale about a 27 " 10k and s-039 mount for it that woul dwork perfect for u!!

If u are intersested in a radio with ssb and weather i have a new midland 79-290 for sale with a d-104m6b power mic $150 includin shipin , already to go with extra chanells and peak and tune.

I'm not trying to push anything on ya just if your interested in buyin one i have on i'm curently sellin thats brand new if u are interseted

Hey im new too Stevo02tj;s best bud (i think and hope)

Right now i have a Cobra 19 DX III 20 foot RG 58 coax cable and a 4 foot firestick 2 antenna

i get a slight "hum" when i turn the cb on, the engine is not on and keys are not in the ignition, also it doesnt matter what volume its at it can be barely on and still hear it...

any suggestions to help tweak my setup and helpful pointers would be great

thanks

foxx

Re: midland

Mopar Man said:
I have a midland 79-290 too i just got it last week i still need to get a antenna and my friend is going to sell me a phatboy amp. what type of antenna u going to use i was looking at the wilson 1000 trucker, but i saw the 10k's and they look great , Idont realy know a thing about moblie setups i was always a base station when i was in cb when i was a kid growing up at my parent house so it' s all new to me too

Go with the 10K the 22inch shaft single coil would look awsome and work great on that truck i got

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.