• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new power

rockenranger

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 17, 2011
been thinking about buying a new alternator. my stock alternator is 130 amps. i have found 150-250 amps. i run a galaxy 66v ts mod-v and a sweet 16. i have an extra battery with a 2f cap. right now my volts are 14.3 with nothing on and the volts drop to 13.2 when i key up and start moding. how big of one should i step up to thanks for your time and help

That voltage drop is normal. It's the difference between the voltage of the alternator with no 'load' on it and when under a 'load'. Increasing the 'size' of the alternator can make that no-load/load voltage difference smaller, but it's still going to be there. It isn't a 'fault' to start with, but if you want to place blame for that 'fault' put it on the voltage regulator, not the alternator. That 13 (+/-) volts is the 'operating' voltage of the whole system.
- 'Doc

I ran at one time in my mobile a 2x8 a 300 amp alt and 6 battery's which was overkill for the setup for it worked out nicely. I would atleast add one extra battery and a 300amp alt that way you've got some cushion and a little room for upgrades

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.