• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"New" Radio

Lt Dan

Mud Duck
Aug 31, 2009
Carteret County NC
on account of my cobra 29 ltd classic having an electrical fire in it, I was forced to buy a new radio. Out with the old in with the new

I have a friend whos letting me borrow a Northstar 450 BFM with mosfet finals with the option of buying it.

So far is seems to be a good radio.

any thoughts?

I think I'd rather hear your thoughts on it (since I don't have one). How do you think it compares to your '29' so far, and why? Anything that imediately strikes you about it? Good or bad?
- 'Doc

You havn't said if you are a strict AM'er or want SSB as well.
If you want to stick with Cobra radio's; then go for a used Cobra or Uniden that is at least ten years old. Why? Because they are just better than the new stuff.

If any radio mfr is open in your sights, then a Galaxy or Magnum is a great choice - I have both. And yes, they are SSB rigs. The $250-275 bracket yields some f i n e radios - IMO...

Last edited:
northstars are clones, just knockoff's made in china.

quality is so so, generally for a few dollars more you can get the real thing. warrenty's have been none existant in the past. it seems they produce a radio for al long as they can till the origional manufacture sue's/ or threatens with a cease and decist letter. been doing it sence the galaxy pluto days.

I think I'd rather hear your thoughts on it (since I don't have one). How do you think it compares to your '29' so far, and why? Anything that imediately strikes you about it? Good or bad?
- 'Doc

(y)
I like this radio. It appears to swing about 60 watts when I have the engine running on my van, 50 or so when running solely on the battery. Hopefully it will swing 70 when I upgrade to 10 gauge wire. The guy selling it to me says it has mosfet finals in it. I like how it has 8 frequencies, 6 of which I'll never use... But that's cool, at least I have them. I never use side band so I'm good. I'm kinda baffled why it has 3 choices of colors for the face... I mean shouldn't they have just gone with one, seems like more things to go wrong to me. She seems to modulate very very loudly.

Compared to the stockish 20 year old 29... blows it outta the water

northstars are clones, just knockoff's made in china.

quality is so so, generally for a few dollars more you can get the real thing. warrenty's have been none existant in the past. it seems they produce a radio for al long as they can till the origional manufacture sue's/ or threatens with a cease and decist letter. been doing it sence the galaxy pluto days.

How can a radio manufacturer bring a lawsuit against another over an illegal Non-FCC type approved radio?

northstars arent bad radios they usually do the job and get out ok. does the model you have have a sort of variable power dan
reason i ask is if you want to run a linear your going to need to turn the power of that high power radio down. as low as it can go or to a point where you can get the carrier below 4 watts and keep the swing under 20 for a 2 pill atleast anyways a 4 pill may not need that turned down. but a 1x4 would. anything with a 2 pill driver or 1 pill driver would need the power turned down just so you know
73s
Ol red with the high five

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.