• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Rig! FT-1000MP

SR385

Mar 9, 2007
Got an excellent deal on a Yaesu FT-1000MP. I'm very very happy right now.

Pretty much a dream rig for me and the deal buried anything I could have bought new for similar money.

Picked up the rig, mic, speaker, 2.0 and 2.4 filters, won't say how much, but below market rates for sure.

It's spotless and it is mine.

Can't wait to make some space and get it on the air.

ft-1000MP.jpg

I bought one of these a few weeks ago with the MD200 mic and heil insert...Worked quite a few stations Stateside, Canada and into Russia with it, and got good reports back.

They're a nice radio but need careful setting up to get the best out of them....N1EU and N2KI do set up charts for the menus,which make life a little easier!

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards, Richie.

SR385 said:
Got an excellent deal on a Yaesu FT-1000MP. I'm very very happy right now.

There are some improvements that can be made to this rig.
INRAD has a 4KHz roofing filter for this radio, however I fear that might be too narrow if you operate AM. maybe it can be switched in & out depending on mode. Roofing filter improves handling of strong adjacent signal in receiver.

Also consider the W8JI modifications.
One of them fixes a problem with the noise blanker causing intermodulation distortion in the receiver.
Another improves CW transmitter shaping to reduce key clicks.

At least those last two mods should increase the value of your radio.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Yeah lots of reading material on it for sure.

The manual alone is a 47MB pdf file.

I'll be wading slowly through the menu options on this one for sure.

My operating style is pretty casual, so I won't be in any rush to do the roofing filter mods. It's honestly more rig than I need or would have bought new by choice. The deal was just too good to pass up.

This is another FT-1000 site resource, very nice collection of tips.

http://www.va3cr.net/

Figured I'd post back with the initial impressions.

Amazing....

I was a bit hesitant to blow the cash on this, but boy am I glad I did. It's anything I could want from a rig.

The amount of flexibility in the audio settings is fantastic.

carrier offsets
mic EQ curves in EDSP
TX width
separate carrier offsets for processor ON

Very very happy with what I can get out of the MD-100 mic using all the available settings. I'm running 100-3100 and adjusted the carrier offset a bit to take the upper harshness off. With the processor on, I slid it 150 to make it even edgier for a sharp DX quality.

There's a fine line with both mic gain and processor level to balance proper AGC drive and suddenly going too far. The monitor circuit with a set of in-ear plugs makes getting that balanced much easier. They both line up pretty nicely and I'm running roughly at 10-11 o'clock.

The EDSP auto-notch function is very handy as well. The AF DSP comes in handy too, though I still prefer the performance of my BHI ANEM adaptive module...puts the final polish on the signal.

Now I just have to get a better wire in the air for the low bands, the vertical (GAP Titan) works great 40m and up, but it's rare conditions on 80m that it works well for me.

Anyway, if anyone comes across one of these in great shape, you really won't be sorry. Particularly if you are upgrading from a much more basic rig.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.