• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to the CB world, what should I get?

T

Trail boss 1

J15,

Welcome! I would recommend the same setup that Efoltyn is considering. His post was on the same page as yours.

A Uniden pc 78 and a magnetic mount Wilson 1000 antenna will work fine. The mag mount on your roof will probably give you the best performance. I haven't seen an antenna yet that looks stock and performs well. There might be one out there but I have never seen or tried one that I have liked. Stay away from any "rubber duckie" type stubby antenna or an antenna that loooks like a cell antenna. I recommend that you buy an swr meter from radio shack, and adjust your antenna for best performance. An excellent place to buy from is www.bills2way.com

I hope this helps.

TB

</p>

The antenna in the picture would be fine if you are satisfied talking to people not much over a mile away. Your antenna is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your setup. If you are going to skimp on an antenna then don't spend much more than 30 bucks on a radio. Not trying to be harsh here, but a junk radio with a good antenna will out do a 250 dollar radio with a junk antenna. I know you want to try not to change the look of your truck, but I don't think radio antenna looks all that bad.

You might look at the Wilson Little Wil. I have one on my wifes pickup and have been very impressed, no it's not a Wilson 1000 or 5000 but for the size it does a great job.

fasteddy

High Country DX, HF Specailist. Del Norte, CO
contact me at pe765@aol.com
mid79290big.jpg
</p>

I have had firesticks in the past, the Wilson is a superior antenna by far.

</p>

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a new CB and have no idea what to get so here is what I will be using it for and maybe you guys can give me some suggestions on what to get.

I'm going to put the CB in my 01 Ford F-150 Lightning. Mainly I'm going to be using it for talking to friends on long road trips that are a few miles ahead or behind me. I also want to talk to the occasional trucker and have a PA system. My main concern is the antenna. I really don't want a fat antenna sticking out. I read that there is a detachable antenna? Does anyone have more info or a link to this antenna? Anyway any suggestions on what to get, where to get it, and how much would be great. Oh yeah, where should I mount it, I want it to look somewhat stock(I know that is hard to do)

Thanks

Joe

</p>

J15big, welcome! See you've drifted over from www.f1540online.com. Good.

I think you will get better advice about radios/antennas/mounting/ and wiring here than you do over at the F-150 site.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.