• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise buildup throughout the day, gone at night. any ideas?

Yea, driving by solar farms in rural areas in the day, I definitely hear and see the noise.

Reactions: tchr01
Waiting on the power company now to get me in to the mix for the techs to come out. But its really constant now.. S9+ and look at my waterfall on my SDR! This a totally separate antenna (its a long horizontal wire SWL antenna about 40ft) but also in my back yard. AM SDR demod sounds the same as my 980SSB. BZZZZZZZZ :( Screenshot from 2022-04-22 14-45-13.png

Troubleman 2 was out today. Knocked on my door. First one was just a visual inspection for safety I guess.

Said my poles in front of my house were not noisy, and was going to drive around behind my house and around side streets. Also said he was going to come back in a few days when the sun is out (cloudy / dreary today even though noise still persists).

He said if its not constant 24/7 and consistently goes down at night, solar is probably the likely culprit. He took out his parabolic dish and got tuned to my frequencies before he took off. Nice guy. Said he would put as many details in the report as he could, and if it was something with the utility they would be out to fix it in a few weeks.... SO... we wait a few more weeks. I have been enjoying the early evening DX that goes past sundown :)

So some noise, as predicted by the power company, has gone down since they fixed some pole/line work, but I still get a solid S3-5 (AM) with some pulsing. I have been poking around online and the closest thing to it I can find was an example of an electric blanket. Its definitely in one direction.

I'm guessing a hot tub heater, pool heater or in-house water heater could produce similar effects? Around 7pm, the noises are gone still. Here is my SDR image.

Everyone is closing up their pools etc . around here for the season. I will be curious to see if it continues after a few more weeks. Screenshot from 2022-09-11 08-59-43.png

Did some more investigating. Its not my house, did the breaker test and ran my 980SSB on a battery.

I noticed the noise again on my shortwave when I got under the pole outside my house, and also noticed my SWL long wire also had the same noise running along it. Was sunny today S9+ most of the day, totally unusable. Then around 7pm or so, drops off and now is totally gone. Noise is now below S1 (my new air-wound chokes doing some work for me)...

When I orient myself in a way that the sw radio is in front of me directly, when I turn my back to another pole a few doors down, the noise is gone (my body nulling out the noise im guessing), and when I turn back its back. I also noticed my antenna center feedpoint has a good line of site to the same pole.

Im gonna take a walk over tomorrow with my radio to see what I get. My question would be, could the guy two doors down with new solar be causing RFI back to the pole? Sometimes I wish we all still had analog TV antennas lol.

Here is some afternoon noise pattern. Sometimes it even sounds like five blips in a row fast. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsjzotqks70s78t/Tuesday at 6-35 PM.m4a?dl=0
Hi Check out Grey Line Propagation in our new SWL eMag may help and 980ssb kool we use XHDATA D-808 check us out here http://bit.ly/shortwaveradiotoday
Have a great day!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.