• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ok what s going on?

Nov 29, 2011
have two cobra radios been tinkering with , i test on the bench with a dummy load and dead key 4 -5 watts , swing about 35 to 38 on my cheapee meter , any way go install them in the big truck and still get the same dead key , but will only swing about 15 to 20 , swr 's are almost 1.1 1.2 , new power cord . wilson 2000 ant. , so i don't get it , whats the difference between testing on the bench @ 12.8 volts and the truck?

ground issues ,(lack of)
reflection?
need more info on the truck single ant , or co-phased
trailer on / off cab composition - fiberglass / aluminum ect ,standup sleeper, air dam
antenna, is the coil above roofline? if so how much

volvo trucks are a pia to get a antenna set up rite on.
the "bird perch you say is screwed to the door rite? not bolted.
if you were using the factory coax in the mirror i d say that would be the first place to look at .
but with a perch screwed to the door , i would suggest bolting it to the door with star washers and install some ground straps from door to cab and from cab to frame, as the cab is mounted on airbags / rubber mounts lack of groundplane will cause issues similar to what you are experiencing, that or replace the factory coaxial to the mirro mounts as the factory coax is crap
screwing the perch may attach the mount , but doesnt carry an rf ground bond adequate for rf transmission

Measure the resistance of that dummy load. If it's close to 50 - 52 ohms, then it's about as right as most of them are. I would have to say that the antenna(s) on that truck are not tuned very well, no matter what an SWR meter says. Try the same using an antenna analyzer and see how much reactance is there, that's the biggy. Do the same for that dummy load.
- 'Doc

???????????? , explain

the truck is 2002 volvo flat top sleep single ant. mounted on a bird perch, screwed in to the driver door., wilson 2000 ant. the coil of the ant. is about 6 inches above roof line.

what kind of dummy load are you using and what is it's power limit?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.