• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omg, I hate to even ask this question...

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got an RCI2980 on the desk. Owner stated power dropped to 2w swinging 10w and Roger Beep not working.

This guy bought this radio for 100 bucks a few months ago and brought it straight to me to check out cause it was stuck in PA mode and he wanted a complete alignment.

Got it all checked out and lined up doing 48w pep at 25w average.

Well he talked on it a couple months and said he noticed the power drop down, had to be his jumpers, coax or meter cause it's still doing the same 48w on my setup as it was before.

Now on to the question I hate to ask. The Roger beep switch has no affect on or off. With Roger beep on, it's like it isn't turned on. Not even an empty spot sound. I checked the switch and it's showing 8.55v no matter which way you flip the switch. I checked the orange wire (on the end) at j108, stays 8.55v regardless of which way switch is flipped. I checked C134, it showed absolutely nothing on my esr meters, and showed nothing on my capacitance meter, so I replaced it, still the same, no Roger beep or empty spot sound at all. I checked TR33, shows right voltage and tests great in the tester. I checked for voltage off the echo board, 8.55v.

Echo board works great, (can't stand echo).

Everything on this radio works beautifully except no Roger beep. Honestly, I could care less if the beep works cause I don't like them, but it's what the owner wants.

At least the owner now has that aggravating roger beep again, omg...
He's one of those that, when pissed off he will crank all his power up, mic wide open, mic gain wide open, radios echo wide open, mics echo wide open, radios beep going and mics beep going all at the same time, and constantly key up and unkey, lol...

He used to squeal and squall, breaking up, etc...all the time until I started working on the radios around here. Main thing is, he no longer splatters all over the band any more. The other tech around here (for decades, but recently passed away) used to hack these radios up, anything to get that extra little watt, bunch of nasty radios used to run around here that he did. But now, most of these same radios are producing clean signals and running better than they ever have.

If he pays for the parts and gives me some gas money, I don't care what he does with his radio. There's a lot of those around here, get drunk and get on the radio, then raise hell, not a good combination.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.