• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

On freq question..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
bought 2 radios a few years back and at the time on freq was 12;00 exactly..the clarifiers were both unlocked..now when i talk to the other radio it tunes me in at 1;30 and i tune the other one in at 11;00..does this mean the freq has drifted ? most everyone i talk to after i tune them in says it sounds ok on eigther radio..

Sounds like it just needs an alignment. It happens with CB's. What kind of radios are they?

Yeah, I'm sure they just need a PLL alignment by a competent tech. SSB radios take a little more effort than a typical AM CB, but that should solve it.

whoever "unlocked" them for you failed to re-align the upper and lower sideband transmit and receive offsets. because of their ineptness center slot no longer appears at + or - 12:00.

Even though i don't know what he just said, i do know coming from freecell you should pay attention.

I always felt a 2950 clarifier was better left locked. Get the radio aligned properly then you know your on the money and you can just tune the other stations in. If you want to slide set the dot to the last number and hit the up/down button to slide.

bought 2 radios a few years back and at the time on freq was 12;00 exactly..the clarifiers were both unlocked..now when i talk to the other radio it tunes me in at 1;30 and i tune the other one in at 11;00..does this mean the freq has drifted ? most everyone i talk to after i tune them in says it sounds ok on eigther radio..

That is yet another strong case for never unlocking a clarifier.

Put simply, the sideband offsets are the frequencies that the radio needs to use to make sure that it is transmitting and receiving on frequency when using sideband. If you're going to to monkey with the clarifier, you have to perform an alignment when you're done or you get what has happened here.

"I always felt a 2950 clarifier was better left locked. Get the radio aligned properly then you know your on the money and you can just tune the other stations in. If you want to slide set the dot to the last number and hit the up/down button to slide."

and that's exactly why screwing with the clarifier in these radios is a waste of time and money as well as creating the complaints such as those we've heard here. LITFA

Radios tend to take a little while to stablize (warm up) Splash were SSB is concerned , you said they worked pretty good once you were locked in , that's a good thing dude , if you want to spend more money and your looking for perfection , you could have the radios alighned better , but as you said yourself , they lock in after a little while and work just fine where there at. It's your choice dude , it doesn't sound like a drift problem to me , just a slight offset of yor clairifiers , as long as you lock in sooner or later and there's no problem after that , I'd say you were good to go unless you feel like dropping a few more dollars to even things out ?

SSB on CB radio isn't perfect , that's why those radios have clarifiers on them to begin with , you lock in and do the best you can , there's always somebody a little higher or lower then the next guy , I would just assume to have a open clairifier to begin with for the simple fact that so many others have there's open as well. I often wonder if there's truly a center slot on SSB ? I mean I know there is scientifically speaking , but there's just so many different radios out there that I more so find it not to be the perfect science , it's usually ballpark for the most part and it usually will get the job done. :)

Most likely a temperature variation between the 2 radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.