• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions wanted Texas Star 3200 or Messenger 2kw???

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
Ok, I have been planning on making an all band HF amp. I already have a TS DX1600 and am looking for another to combine them into what used to be called the Viking 3200.

But I have $550 in this one 1600 and likely another $550 for a second

So I was looking at selling my TS 1600 and getting a Messenger 2kw for $1000. They already are a 16 transistor with a rather decent remote.

I am likely going to re due the Bias network on either one since neither amp comes true regulated AB1. I will make a filter network for other bands or buy the network used in the Ameritron ALS1300 since it is rated at 2kw.

And If I go through with the TS 3200, I will use the remote head from an ameritron ALS 500/600/1300 wich will be easy to interface with the Filter board if I use theirs.

My question is, which way would you go and y?

And yes, I know the gain of 8 vs 16 transistors will only be 1/2 an S unit But if I Use just 8 at 1kw, thats 125 watts per transistor. or I can run legal limit 1.5 kw at only 93.75 watts per device.

Im still trying to decide if i should repost my new 1600 to trade or sell or if I just just run the thing at 800 -1000 watts I found a great filter system and if I idled this 1600 at the power output I stated it should be acceptable to run filtered and be reliable and with the fan kit it will also run cool.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.