• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pace 1000B low S-meter reading on AM only

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Howdy folks,

I got a bit of an unusual trouble.... I recently acquired an old Pace Sidetalk 1000B 23 channel AM/SSB base from a friend. I cleaned it up, did a tuneup on it, and lined up all the crystals so they are on frequency, for the most part (this radio goes up to 27.605, plus the "blank" channel on the dial is a functioning channel, channel 24). I didn't really see any board number anywhere on it, if I locate it, I'll post it.

The trouble is that on AM, when receiving a strong close range signal (S-9+), the meter shows only about 3 "S" units. The receive audio is great, clear and loud. On SSB, the meter reads as it should (S-9+), with audio clear and loud. I did a receive alignment, but didn't really change anything for the meter movement on AM.

Might there be a component that could be bad in the meter circuit on AM that I am overlooking? I love using this old radio, it's a nice clean vintage unit, and it talks quite nicely. The only rub is that the "S" meter reading is very "stingy" on AM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Exit

"Google", as they say, "is your friend."

http://www.cbcintl.com/sams.htm . This link takes you to a list of Sams Photofacts and tells you where you can obtain the one you need. The Sams publications are very useful and accurate. Assuming the copying process the seller uses is reasonably careful, the drawings should be clear and as readable as the original.

There just about HAS to be an adjustment for the S-meter, but remember that no S-meter ever built by human hands is going to be a lab-quality instrument. It's just a relative indication under the best conditions.

Anyway, try the link and see what you get. I think the number for your rig is Sam's #94, but double check.

Thanks for the replies Beetle and Freecell!

Beetle, I tried going to the site you suggested, before I came here and made my initial thread, but I couldn't get on the site for some reason. My googlefu isn't weak, just over-protective, it seems. :D

Freecell, I did adjust R363 as per your instructions, but the weird thing is, when I do that, my audio level drops down. I have it set properly now, but my audio on AM isn't as strong as it was before I adjusted it. Pretty strange. Perhaps I am overlooking something.

-Exit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned