• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Paint Yaesu FT-101E

n4joh

Apr 9, 2008
Does anyone know of a source for cabinet paint for one of these old radio,s? the FT-101E? Thank,s 73 n4joh/John

Here are supposed some close matches-

"Rustoleum "Winter Gray" # 1982830
is about as close as you can get to the original color of the 101
series."
Winter Gray can also be found at Home Depot in a spray can.
Painters Choice brand.

Here is something I found on the FoxTango site-

Not sure where you are located, here in the states we found a grey paint at Home Depot called Winter Grey. It's a darn nice match for the Ft-101 series. It's a tad bit lighter then the original paint when you spray it on, when it dries and the rig is used in normal indoor lighting it looks perfect.
It's sold at Home Depot under the bran name Painter's Choice. (Winter Grey) Recommend you remove the case, handles and feet, lightly sand the case with a fine grain wet / dry sand paper so the paint will stick. Rinse and dry case completely before spray painting. Several light coast of paint are far better then one or two heavy coats of paint.
If you want to take it one step further, heat up your oven to 250 deg F.
First remove any extra oven racks and just leave in one rack at the lowest point in the oven. Once you reach temp, turn oven off and put the case in the oven standing upright, leave in oven over night for the enamel paint to bake on with a harder finish. This is much like the procedure when you paint a car on a much smaller basis.

KRYLON # 1606, Pewter Gray Gloss, for the trim ring

Last edited:
no.....it's a pretty odd color. sometimes, i suppose the light or background affects the appearance of the color, giving it a hint of gray, beige and/or mint green. at home depot, they have a rustoleum aerosol paint called 'winter gray'. you can't 'touch up' with it, but a complete repaint of the case & it looks pretty good. i've painted 20 or more 101 & accessories, sometimes it looks close to the original color, sometimes not, but it's the best i've ever seen.....especially to the 'dodge truck electric blue' case i saw once.......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.