• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 300a tube question

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
I had a friend who had a palomar 300a it did right at 900 watts!!! any idea witch one would do this much power and what and how many tubes it would have in it?

I think your friend may have been a little optimistic about that 900 watts, if he had a Palomar 300a. That amplifier had 6 '6KD6's in it, 2 feeding 4 if I'm not mistaken. At most, you may see 400 - 450 watts, maybe.
- 'Doc

lol, no i even saw it myself on a dosy watt meter it would take a good 100 watt drive and would swing right at 900 watts no joke!!

Considering that a 6KD6 has about a 30 watt plate dissipation, I think that Dosey meter may have been a little optimistic too. ;)
- 'Doc

The comment about 100 watts of drive speaks volumes of the quality and accuracy of the wattmeter. The 2N2905 keying transistor or the entire board for that matter wouldn't take that kind of wattage. However you can use something like a JB 12 to drive the 300A with only in the low power settings as it switches the 2 driver tubes out. 375-425 max is about all that amp can produce.
Not trying to dispute what you saw radioman but just speaking from years of experience with sweep tube amps.

seen 700 watts

maybe your budy had 8950 tubes in his 300a ive herd of some people doing that but you have to find a 12 volt tap on the transformer for the heater on the 8950.dont know what els it involves. I ran a rci 2970 into the high side of my 300a and got 700 peak. 100 watts into the 2 drivers to the 4 finels. dont do ot thoue i blew the drivers up and some caps on the botom end but it worked for a little wile.my watt meaters could be wrong thair never the same and i dont know what the out put is on a 8950.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.