• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC board trace on Grant LT

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
I got a Grant LT that is in decent cosmetic condition but will not do anything but light up and the channel display is dim at best.

Looking over it I see a burnt spot on the inside cover of the solder side of the board. I looked where the burnt spot on the cover lines up with the board and see a tiny spot where the trace is burnt and broke. I think someone did soldering in that spot and messed it up.

Can a small spot be repaired or is it shot? It is right where a diode is D44 and a resistor R51. In fact it looks like the soldering done there shorted these together.

I want to get this working if possible.

Thanks for any input,
AP

I don't see why it can't be repaired. Broken traces can be bypasses with wire jumper, or if you have access to advanced tools such as the Pace cir-kit, you can certainly fix the trace properly. As for the shorted-bridged components, unbridge them.

Thanks, I was just thinking of that last evening, putting a wire across to bridge it. There is a small board wired into the radio that I have no idea what it is for. I want to take it out and restore radio to stock.

I will post a pic soon.

AP

Some mods are not as simple to undo as just clipping off the accessory cards. The initial modification may have involved replacing resistors with different values, bridging/shorting connections, etc. I think you'll want to find out what that mod was first and what else might've been modified.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.