• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pdc 1089 low pass filter

actually i was wanting to know how 2 run all those jumpers
sorry about that
Out of the radio into the amp, out of the amp into the filter, out of the filter into the meter, out of the meter into the antenna out of the antenna into free space.

I just bought a brand new Bencher YA1 low pass filter. Interestingly enough, the instructions said to put it AFTER the meter, as the last component before the antenna lead. Bencher explained this is in case the meter generated some garbage.

Go figure.

lol

I put the PDC-1089 low pass filter in line and it didn't seem to help.

I still come over stereo speakers and a TV with an antenna.

Will this Bencher YA-1 work better?

4600turbo, Let me jump in here if I may.

So far there has been no mention of what type of radio .amp, antenna ect...

If in fact we are talking about a CB thats been modified as they say, and Or a Sweep
Tube amp then you are S.O.L. in my opinion..

Let me give you an example of what I mean. When I got back into radio ! CB at the
time I bought a Galaxie Melaka Base and converted it to dual finals, volted them, and
of course removed the mod limiter. The numbers you would not believe, and then I
put a 6 hole Sweep Tube amp behind it, and gave a new meaning to flat topping a
O Scope :) I could talk on 10 channels at once and my I-Max 2000 was lit up in the
dark. That may be stretching it a bit but not much.

I could talk on neighbors radios that were unpluged and in the closets... he he
All the filters in the world will not help unless We are runnig a clean station and thats
a fact my friend.

If in fact, You are running a clean station then We will have to take it one step at a
time and work thru everthing until we find the culpert, and Yes it can be done.

Let us know and we can help.

Regards,

John aka. "The Dealer CDX211"

It depends a great deal on just how close your radio and antenna are to your neighbor's stuff, and how much power and/or modifications you've done to your radio. The worst case being that your neighbor's stuff just may not be very RF 'resistant', more common than people want to think. If that's the case, every low-pass filter in the world isn't gonna help you. If your transmitter is 'clean' to start with, a low-pass filter ~might~ help the situation, depends on that RF 'resistance' thingy. The only sure way of stopping the interference is distance.
Not much help, huh? Well, without knowing a lot more about the situation than I do, that's about as 'close' as I can get. Sorry 'bout that.
Most interference problems can be 'cured'. Some are much more difficult than others (mainly involves 'their' equipment and it's faults). The really bad part is that a CB'er has no recourse any more...
- 'Doc

It sounds like a case of front-end overload to me. The radio signal is so strong that it's overpowering the TV tuner and the stereo amplifier. Coupling this with the likelihood that the radio signal is probably splattering below the cutoff frequency of the filter, the only thing that's going to help is to reduce the level of the radio signal.

Two ways to do that: move the antenna away from the TV/stereo, and/or drop the power level and use a clean radio, barefoot.

It sounds like a case of front-end overload to me. The radio signal is so strong that it's overpowering the TV tuner and the stereo amplifier. Coupling this with the likelihood that the radio signal is probably splattering below the cutoff frequency of the filter, the only thing that's going to help is to reduce the level of the radio signal.

Two ways to do that: move the antenna away from the TV/stereo, and/or drop the power level and use a clean radio, barefoot.

There is the answer right there. A low pass filter,no matter how good it is, cannot get rid of RF in such devices as computer speakers and audio systems such as stereo speakers.The problem is NOT harmonics,which is what a filter will cure, but rather just plain too much signal for the device to handle. Only by lowering the amount of signal applied to the device can cure that. That can be achieved by reducing transmitter power (GASP!) ,placing the antenna further away from the device being interfered with,or in some cases by bypassing the cables leading into/out of the device with chokes and/or capacitors.A lowpass filter just will not do a thing for front end overload.

There is the answer right there. A low pass filter,no matter how good it is, cannot get rid of RF in such devices as computer speakers and audio systems such as stereo speakers.The problem is NOT harmonics,which is what a filter will cure, but rather just plain too much signal for the device to handle. Only by lowering the amount of signal applied to the device can cure that. That can be achieved by reducing transmitter power (GASP!) ,placing the antenna further away from the device being interfered with,or in some cases by bypassing the cables leading into/out of the device with chokes and/or capacitors.A lowpass filter just will not do a thing for front end overload.

Exactly, I used to get neighbor's complaints @1kw output, went the wholde route of filter,chokes, extra good grounding you name it which did conquer 95% of the neighbors devices but the one that eluded me was the dvd player try as I might so I tried different power levels and found that cutting the power by half solved that issue and it's a fact of life you can't covet thy neighbors entertainment equipment.

My radio does 30 watts dk swings up from there. It's set to 4:1 carrier to modulation.
I still come over my TV when it's muted with my 4 watt radio, but very lightly I can just hear it if i put my ear to the speakers.

One of my neighbors is 60ft away and the other is right next door.

The antenna is only 23ft in the air at the moment. Plan to get it up 10ft higher. I've grounded the antenna. It's on a fiberglass push up pole. So I grounded it to a metal pole.

I'm coming in on my TV only when muted. The neighbor said It was coming over her tv even with the TV off. It does not do this to my TV's. She has Direct TV I have cable.

Now This might sound like a stupid question, but which way do I put the PDC1089 filter in-line. The filter says IN on one side and Out on the other. I've got the CB going it to the IN side and the antenna attached to the OUT side. The only reason I question this is 'cause a tech told me to put it the other way. I notice no difference either way.

I've also done a RF choke near the antenna. I wound the coax about 6 times.

I just bought a Silver Salute mic. and now the interference is even louder.

Well solved the issue on my TV by using the RF snap on chokes. I put them on the audio section coming into the TV and also put them on the cable coming in from the outside. and Into the cable box.

I can't hear a thing now but I'm not sure about the neighbors. I offered them some RF choke and put some on their speaker wires.

I am using a connex 4600 turbo , but today I just pluged in my 4xpill Galaxy to see if I could get out much farther, and it does, now the same problem exists. LOL so I'm not going to play with this radio much, since I know It's really causing some grief. I just play with it for a little while. LOL Then back into the truck it goes.

Just a little advice about those ferrite 'chokes' and neighbors. There's no problem with offering to furnish them for free. There IS a problem if YOU put them on for your neighbor! It's called 'liability', and as odd as it may sound, it can make YOU liable for any problems encountered by the neighbor -after- you do that installing. So, give them the chokes for free, but don't do the actual installation for them. Unless you just happen to have the liability insurance that would cover such a thingy. One of them "been there", "got the 'T'-shirt" thingys...
- 'Doc

Yeah, I thought about the liability issue and I thought about not giving them any at all, but the guy seemed lost at to where to put them. Do RF choke cause problems? Hmmm, didn't know they did. Well, hopefully not. The other neighbor I just gave the RF chokes to him and told him where to install them at. Thanks for your advice.
I wasn't sure I should give them RF chokes or any device at all. Not really sure what the regulation state about this. At one point I had thought that I had to do nothing but try to limit the RF coming out of my station.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated