• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PDL-2 wire

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
Hi all, anyone know where to get 14 gage bare copper wire like came with PDL-2s? I need to replace my PDL-2 wire and cant find this size soft copper wire in my area.

Thanks for any input,
AP :)

You can purchase all the enameled wire that you want from your local electric motor rewinding shop,#14 is no problem as it is a stocked size for everyday electric motor rewinding/Repair...comes in 5,000+ foot rolls but I am sure that you can buy it by the foot when you tell them what you are going to do with the wire........also many other sources of 14 guage wire......I would replace it with enameled (Formvar/Varnished) wire but it is true that any # 14 insulated wire would work...Back in the late 60's I had a PDL-2 and I always had good luck with mine...I even made some Homemade PDL-2's out of long varnished Bamboo poles and Enameled wire....I talked skip all over the world with that Homemade antenna.....good luck on the wire..

thanks everyone for the advice on this wire. I did not know you could use so many diferent kind of 14 ga wire. I thought it had to be the exact same as came off or it would screw the antemnna up.

You can use just about any wire for that.14ga. or 12ga. or even 16ga. will make no differance.I would suggest using stranded wire however as it will flex more and is less likely to break after a few years.Besides that it can be pulled tighter and looks better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.