• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Peak and tune questions

Red 5

Feb 28, 2015
I have a few radios I'd like to have tuned. We don't have any shops here in San Diego. I was thinking about trying it myself, but but don't know if I need a scope, frequency counter etc. Frankly I have no idea what I'm doing, or where to start. Is it a simple task or complicated? The radios are : sears roadtalker 40 ssb, uniden pc122 ssb and a radio shack trc-465.
If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a few radios I'd like to have tuned. We don't have any shops here in San Diego. I was thinking about trying it myself, but but don't know if I need a scope, frequency counter etc. Frankly I have no idea what I'm doing, or where to start. Is it a simple task or complicated? The radios are : sears roadtalker 40 ssb, uniden pc122 ssb and a radio shack trc-465.
If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you don't have test equipment already don't take the covers off. I have four or five of the Sears Road Talker SSB radios. Great Radios but not real strong on the modulation or RF power. But they do work good. Are yours the Dual powered base/mobile units? They also have the single power mobile radio which is a good strong radio.
Check this place out:

CBS Radio San Diego
(858) 560-1037 · 8033 Linda Vista Rd, San Diego

Reactions: Red 5
If you don't have test equipment already don't take the covers off. I have four or five of the Sears Road Talker SSB radios. Great Radios but not real strong on the modulation or RF power. But they do work good. Are yours the Dual powered base/mobile units? They also have the single power mobile radio which is a good strong radio.
Check this place out:

CBS Radio San Diego
(858) 560-1037 · 8033 Linda Vista Rd, San Diego
Thanks, yes my roadtalker is the single power mobile unit. It has the analog round dial, not the red digital version. I love that radio, but it could use a tune up.
CBS radio is a radio station office, I live very close to it.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, yes my roadtalker is the single power mobile unit. It has the analog round dial, not the red digital version. I love that radio, but it could use a tune up.
CBS radio is a radio station office, I live very close to it.

Unless its off frequency or down a lot on power, a peak and tune makes bugger all difference other than on a meter on a bench. Going from 15W to 20W output will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Improving the RX by a few dB will not make signals suddenly appear out of the noise and in many cases, ramping up the gain on the RX stages makes the radio more susceptible to interference from strong stations on adjacent channels as it reduces the selectivity.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.