• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Portable Screwdriver antenna

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
I have an old manual tune screwdriver antenna(not sure of the frequencies yet, as I don't have a analyzer) It is a Autenna from possibly the 70's or 80's. I have tried to find something on the antenna from the internet with no luck. It has a stainless steel whip which adjust up and down with a set screw. It then goes into the tuning coil which is mounted on a steel bar around 2-1/2 or 3' with a slide bar inside. You loosen the set screw and slide the bar which is inside the 2-1/2 or 3' bar. On the bar it has five marks which I assume is the frequencies. I would like to try putting it on a tripod. It has a 3/8x 24(I believe)stud mount. It tunes by sliding a bar up and down. I have made a counterpoise for it, which has six, fifteen foot wires which will connect to the mounting bracket I made. I think I will have a ground wire also. My question is, do you feel this configuration will work? I am trying to copy the MP-1 of PV-7 or something of that sort. I know it's not the same but I'm trying to work with what I have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks KI4MSJ, CDX126

KI4MS,
Your description doesn't ring any bells (not unusual), but yes, the thing ought to work. It won't be the easiest or simplest thing to tune the first time, but after you determine which marks mean what, it should be 'repeatable'. How well will it work? Beats me, probably about average for a loaded antenna. But It should certainly be 'portable.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.